1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E string very dull on Squier VM Jag Short Scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SiriusBlack, Mar 22, 2013.

1. SiriusBlack

SiriusBlack

Nov 29, 2011
    I've e Squier VM Jag Short Scale. E string sounds dull :-(, no matter if strings are new or old or boiled or whatever. I've tried three different round sets of strings:

1. Stock Fender strings the bass came with
    2. Rotosound RS 66S
    3. Short scale Fender 40 to 90

Could there be anything other than the strings, i.e. anything else on the bass that I ought to change or fix for this damn E string to sound crisp, i.e. not dull like A D and G.

Or is there perhaps a set of strings I should try.

Cheers ...

2. SiriusBlack

SiriusBlack

Nov 29, 2011
    I thought someone might be able to advise me on this

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Does the string have the same problem acoustic, or is it only audible when you're plugged in?

Try soloing the bridge pickup and plucking closer to the bridge with your right hand.

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Most liekly it is because the lower tension of the short scale shows up the most on the low E, and a .090 is pretty low tension even for a long scale.

Try a set with a .105 low E, there are a couple out there for short scales, you can get a 45-105 set of DR Sunbeams and even a 50-107 set of GHS Boomers, the thicker string tightens up the short scale, but then again many like the looser feel with the shorter scale for overall ease.

The other issue may just be the pickups, reviews of that bass mention it as a shortfall, possibly they just don't translate low end well and it isn't as apparent on the higher pitched strings.

5. SiriusBlack

SiriusBlack

Nov 29, 2011
    Thanks FourBanger. I'll try a set with 105 E. Hopefully it's the strings and not the pups.

Will keep you posted.

6. SiriusBlack

SiriusBlack

Nov 29, 2011
    Mushroo - it doesnt sound very bright evenwhen I am not plugged in. what does that mean please?

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I agree with FourBanger that it's worth trying a thicker E string.

8. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    It means that you don't have an issue with the pickups :)

9. SiriusBlack

SiriusBlack

Nov 29, 2011
    Cheers Labi

10. SiriusBlack

SiriusBlack

Nov 29, 2011
    I got me a set of D'Addario EXL160S Nickel Wound Medium Gauge .50, .070, .085, .105 and I've had them for a week now. The Bass sounds awesome and not dull at all any more.

I am taking it to a gig tonight :)

Thanks for all you comments and advice.