E string very floppy and clangy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DodgeSpiritRT, Mar 9, 2018.

1. DodgeSpiritRT

DodgeSpiritRT Suspended

Feb 18, 2017
    Guys,
    The E string on my Peavey Foundation is very "floppy". It gives a loud metal clang and feels like it's going to slide off the fretboard while holding it. I turned down the treble and this helped the noisiness somewhat.
    I recently had the strings adjusted by a Luthier but now this clanging started up real bad.
    Is the string possibly stretched and in need of a replacement?

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Without seeing it, it seems like the core might be broken inside the windings. You probably need a new E string.

EpicSoundtracks and Plectrum72 like this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You didn't get the strings adjusted. And it probably wasn't by a luthier.

Luthiers build instruments. Techs and repair people adjust the saddles and truss rod and other parts.

Let me guess, you asked for "a setup" and didn't tell the person you left your bass with anything about how or what you play so they could do it correctly. So they guessed. And the result isn't appropriate for how you play.

96tbird likes this.
  4. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    If the core was broke wouldn't the string just pull apart, and there's no way that it would be tune-able? I think it's just about impossible to help on this one without seeing or playing the bass. Might be as simple as changing a string, or possibly going to a higher string gauge, but anytime I have "clanging" I assume it's a truss rod/string height(Neck tilt) adjust. My recommendation, I've got a pile of foundations and I've found they're one of the easiest instruments to learn how to do setups. It's worth your time and the money you save on having a "luthier" look at an instrument could be used to buy another foundation in a different color. This strategy is one of the best ways to become a bass hoarder.

5. DodgeSpiritRT

DodgeSpiritRT Suspended

Feb 18, 2017
    Thanks for responding. YOUR GUESS IS WRONG. The guy IS a luthier - I went to his shop in person and saw his built guitars are all over the shop. I saw him adjust the bridge and check and adjust the truss rod and I left with the bass guitar in hand.
    NEXT customer...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. DodgeSpiritRT

DodgeSpiritRT Suspended

Feb 18, 2017
    Thanks for responding. I actually have another Foundation - it's fretless - and the "feel" of the strings are different than the fretted one that I am having the problem with. the strings are much more taut and the same luthier performed the same truss rod check and bridge adjustment on that one. I could just go back to him or seek another luthier.

7. DodgeSpiritRT

DodgeSpiritRT Suspended

Feb 18, 2017
    Thanks for responding. I plan on buying another set. Not really sure what brand to buy though - if that really matters.

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    At the risk of asking an obvious question, have you verified that the string is, in fact, tuned to E (and is stable at that pitch, it doesn't drift flat)?

9. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    A couple things I've noticed on a couple of my Foundations. (this one drove me nuts), one tuning peg came loose, not at the headstock, but between the shaft of the tuning peg and the clover shaped part you grab. It would resonate and rattle at certain frequencies. The fix, a bit of flux and some solder. Just curios what gauge of strings you use and how low your action is. You might want to give you neck tilt adjust in the back of your neck pocket about 1/8th counter clockwise turn and see if that takes care of it. That would tweak your action up just a hair. Just you-tube neck tilt adjust and that'll get you in the ballpark how to do it.

Also, some techs look at foundations as entry level basses so they don't get the attention they deserve. They're some of my favorites, and if it's an outdoor event, or a rougher venue that's what I'll have on stage.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Take it back to your luthier and he can diagnose the issue.

Stumbo and Zooberwerx like this.
  11. DodgeSpiritRT

DodgeSpiritRT Suspended

Feb 18, 2017
    I don't know if this will help with a diagnosis but here are a couple of pictures. I decided to buy a new set of strings. If that doesn't help then I'm going to ANOTHER luthier. Thanks for all the responses. Much obliged!

Attached Files:

12. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    To have that much travel in the string ain't right! I doubt you are pulling very hard. Bad string would be my guess.

Lofreck and Zooberwerx like this.
  13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Is that sonofagun really tuned to E?

Riis

14. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    What is your tuning method? Do you tune by ear? Do you use a digital tuner? Do you match the pitch to another instrument? Walk us through the steps you've taken to tune that string to E.

15. DodgeSpiritRT

DodgeSpiritRT Suspended

Feb 18, 2017
    I use a Peavey tuner like this one. Both of my Peavey "Foundations" seem to stay in tune but I check them from time to time.

Attached Files:

16. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    echoing the sentiments above: if the low string is tuned to E (41Hz or whatever), there's no way you could pull it way off the fretboard as shown in your photo. something doesn't add up.

17. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    If you play the E string, 5th fret, does it sound at the same pitch as the open A string?

I wonder if the tech messed up and accidentally used the wrong string, maybe they tried to use an A string as the E string?

I agree with the above advice, that investing in a new set of string would be an inexpensive and definitive way of determining whether or not the problem is a bad string.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022