1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E-string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by blueredgreen900, Aug 23, 2007.

1. blueredgreen900

blueredgreen900

Aug 23, 2007
    When I play my E-string, I tend to find that I produce a lot of noise...a sort of smacking sound almost like I am slapping a muted string. It's a Mexican-made Fender Jazz, so I know it's probably not the bass...and I set the action as high as possible to see if it would help, but nothing seems to get rid of the problem. Any suggestions?

2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    First guess:
    Is the string contacting the pole pieces on the pickup? that can cause clikcy poppping sound. That would mean your technique is too heavy handed.

Second guess:
    Does the sound happen when your not plugged in? if so it's probably some rattling hard ware. If it's only the E string then check the bridge.

Some poor quality/damaged amps or speakers may pop when asked to pump out a low E. Plug the bass into another amp or mixing board to see if it's your rig.

3. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I have always had that problem, even with my Ricky... it doesn't do it when I'm plugged in, so I tend not to worry about it.

4. I had a similar problem on my thunderbird couldn't track it for the life of me but it turned out the Tuning pegs where lose bit of super glue and problem solved

5. I had the same problem with my mexican jazz depending or what type of strings I used, never figured out what caused it.