1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E strings has no punch!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Apr 11, 2006.

1. So I'm not sure what's the deal with my E strings. I play an MIA Fender Jazz.

Any idea what could be wrong? My set-up seems fine. Action is set medium-low, neck is slightly bowed, leaning more towards straight. Not sure what it could be! Help!

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    What kind of amp do you play through? Speaker size? Power? EQ Settings?

3. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Could be strings.
    I've experienced that with certain brand/model strings. An E string that sounded fine on a P bass just went plunk on my Washburn. Tried a different brand on the Washburn and it was fine. Right now I'm going with D'Addarios. Nice and even tone/volume.

4. I'm almost certain that its not going to have any bearing on my E not having any punch but:

Jazz - Eden WT-330 (compressor off) - Avatar B212.

I think it may have something to do HOPEFULLY with the set-up, or hopefully NOT something w/ the bass's body/neck.

5. I'm think it may be the strings as well, but I've been using d'adarrios and dean markley's and other brands... all with the same thing, week sounding E string.

I've always been using a 105. gauge though for all brands and I'm thinking that MAY be the issue. i'm thinking maybe going to a 100, or even a 95. gauge may help/fix the problem
    My philosophy on it is my A, D, and G sound fine. The A being the next biggest at 80 gauge has a nice punch to it... so my theory is perhaps for a smaller gauge E (100. or 95.) would 'punch' more

what do you guys think?

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Has your bass always been like that or has it been just recently? Also, are you using just the bridge p/up? If so, they're not the punchiest.

7. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    Personally I would not change the gauge to fix this problem..
    As far I am concerned .100 is the smallest E string you want to use if you still want to call yourself a Bass player ;)
    OK..just kidding..some Rics sound thier best with a .095 on the E such as Chris Squire uses...
    Getting back to your problem....you need to first isolate this problem...Thier are basically three catagories this usually falls in, one is the String, second is the phyics of the bass, third the electronics/pick-ups....
    If you changed strings then that rules that out....
    Next you will need to put your ear to the body and play all notes including E-string notes...you are listening for resonance or lack of...ie, destructive tones occur when standing waves bounce back from a part of the bass, such as the headstock via the neck/truss rod and create dead spots...
    If your bass sounds great in the body...then you may need to look elsewhere...
    I have seen cases "from the factory" were the bridge saddle was cut slightly off for one string...This caused the string to be off aligned from the poles in the pick-ups...even being slightly off can be a significance in signal amplitude for that string.. Can you adjust your pick-up heights to compensate for this??
    DOes your problem occur with both or either pickups???
    Is it more pronounced using the neck pick-up???
    Is the open E-string a problem as well?? Or is it only fretted E-string notes that drop in level???
    I have seen some basses with this situation...where the E had the lowest energy.... One solution was to use a stainless string only for the E ....and keep nickel for the other 3 strings...
    Other situations just similair..after investigating...were linked to the the way the nut was cut or the way the bridge saddle was cut...ie, the E-string was not sitting nicely in the grove of the saddle...depending on what gauge the saddle was originally cut for...the string may have a small gap below it in the saddle..ie..the conturing of the saddle to the string is critical....also look at the back angle behind the saddle..How deep in the saddle the string is also important..if the string has any longitudal movement when it is struck..it can kill the natural vibration...

Best Luck
    Chris

8. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Victor Wooten uses .95 on his 4-string basses.
    Other than that, lots of good points from Chris.