E Tomastik, D.O.A

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Aug 14, 2001.

1. The De Leone I just acquired seems to respond to high tension. I bought a new set of Spirocores. The G, D, and A roar. The E sounded like mud. I had big clear, response from Obligato and Helicore on this bass. As I always do, I went into panic and called my luthier. He tells me that a dead E string is not uncommon with Tomastik. Today, I put on an old Tomastik E and it sounded fine. Has anyone else had a dead E from Tomastik?
    What aggravates me is that strings are returnable if they haven't been mounted. How the hell are you supposed to know it's dead before you put it on?

I'm going to ask the dealer and Tomastik on this. Stay tuned. (Did I really say that?)
  2. OK, in view of the underwhelming interest here, I'll answer myself.
    Tomastik apparently plays hardball, and they don't step up when things go wrong. I was composing an e-mail to Tomastik when I got a call from a bassist friend from the Metropolitan Opera. Of all people, he told me to boil the dead string. He said he has friends who boil all new strings before putting them on. This was discussed on the BG side, for older strings, I think, and I dismissed the idea then, BUT, it worked for me tonight. After boiling, the string was clearer in pitch and had longer sustain. I don't understand it at all. I only know it helped.
  3. Don,

I think this might be the start of a great thread.

i.e was it more tender after boiling, etc.

I just wish Edward F____ua was here to give us some wisdom. I wonder if (all hail) Bob G. has any insight into this which might be the latest and greatest craze in the DB string thread.

BTW What happened to the silk wrapings on the ends of the string? Did you boil them also?

So many questions, so little time.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've noticed that Ed seemed to have a lot of suggestions for people who NAMED their strings, but I never heard him mention one who BOILED them.
  5. Hmm, I wonder if there was some sort of film of something left on the string during the making or the packing.

I like my BG strings pretty dead sounding so I have never boiled them either.

Hey if it works what the heck.
  6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I don't believe the db strings are distributed by the one who handles their electric bass line, but I have had nothing but excellent customer service from Connolly and Co. A couple dead strings, at different times, were immediately replaced. D'Addario is good about that, too, and for both electric and db.

I'd scream bloody murder if a $$ string was DOA.
  7. I get my strings from International Violin, of Baltimore. Very nice people to deal with. They told me that Tomastik could be expected to blame the bass. I have not communicated with them, but I will e-mail the GM.
  9. About this boiling thing...

Seems like the E is regressing back to its original muddy state. And the G isn't so hot, either. I think I just got a bad batch from Tomastik

I e-mailed the General Manager of Tomastik yesterday. We'll see what happens.

Bob G: Who are Connolly and Co.?

If I become Moderator and take a dump on Tomastik, do I have to ban myself from TB? Don't quit yet, JT.
  10. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    US distributors for Thomastik electric bass and guitar strings. No connection with the db strings Thom makes.