Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E.Vs. or Eden drivers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I got a used Mesa 5410 (PowewrHouse 1000) and one 10 has a ripped cone, and the 15 is tired and prolly needs reconing.
    I temporarily put 4 Eden XLs in it so I cold use it. The 10s have a shiny carbon like cone and I wonder if they would be better with all paper cones??? Any comments????
    The 15 E.V.was replaced with a Peavey BW. And I don't know if I should have it reconed, or keep the PV and sell off the EV.
    Would the cost to recone be worth it??? Or should I put the EVs in the Eden XLT cab and sell it that way?
    And Sell the EV 15 in the cab the PV came out of?

2. Bob,
    The EV drivers are considerably superior to the Peaveys and at least as good as the Edens. The box was designed for those drivers so changing them could change the sonic character of the cab.
    I'd spring for reconing the EVs, it's considerably cheaper than buying new drivers. But, on the other hand, if you're happy with it with the Peavey and the Edens in it........

3. Rockbobmel

Mark,
    The cab sounds similar to my Eden D-410XLT on top of a Sonic 1-18 (EV loaded). Not as girthy, but better focused.
    I am really starting to doubt the science of matching drivers to cabs. It seems that some companies match (in general) wthin a window of workable specs. An example: Eden D-410xlt, D-212xlt, 118xl all have the same external cabinets. In fact the outer ports (top and bottom) seem to be out of the same cookie cutter.
    Also the fact that Mesa, or Ampeg, or SWR, all use different drivers from time to time in their cabinets. Yeah, they are within spec, but how much is ooooooo.... and how much is BS.
    So if EV makes OEM drivers (what came with the Mesa), What is special or makes them work better than a replacement driver?
    Do you honestly think the EVs are better quality than the Edens? I'm trying not to have contempt. I'm just trying to justify thigs and make the right decisions. Thanks

4. Bob,
    I think I'd agree with your statements about matching drivers and boxes. I suspect the tolerances are pretty wide, especially with the mass built stuff.
    EV makes very high quality drivers, among the best of the best in pro audio (along with JBL and RCF). They're very robust and they sound good. I can't make a judgement on whether they're better than Eden's drivers but they're certainly just as good from a construction/reliability standpoint. If I had the choice to buy EV or Eden drivers for a cab, I'd go EV without hesitation. But that's based on my positive experiences with EV and the fact that I don't really dig Eden cabs, so that might not count:D.
    But, if the Edens work for you, go for it as long as you don't mind not having them in your Eden cab.....

5. Rockbobmel

My plan, at least for now is recone the 1 10 that is torn, and put the EVs in the Eden cab and sell it that way. I have a second D-410xlt, and don't need 2. I don't know if the remaining EVs are tired or not. If not, I may try them back in the Mesa cab. I don't like, however, the carbon/paper cones on the EVs. They seem flimsy and too light. Shouldn't they be stiff?, like the Edens? Maybe tired. Thanks, Bob

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmmmm... If I saw a high end cab for sale with transplanted speakers of a different brand, I wouldn't buy it. Too much of an unknown quantity..

7. Rockbobmel

I thought of that. I'll probably only get half the price. Maybe I'll put the original Edens back in the xlt, get full price and recone the EVs with better paper.... Huh?

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep that's what I'd do for sure.

EV are great quality speakers. A re-coned speaker is essentially brand new. Everything is replaced except the basket and the magnet. New paper, new surrounds, new spider, new voice coil new everything. They'll last you for another 10 years or more with care.

9. Rockbobmel

Or anyone else......Is there a difference between a standard EV, and the OEMs that go into the Boogie cabs? I ask because he Mesa EVs' cones look flakey or wafer like in texture, with a shiney kind of carbon paper. Do you know what I'm talking about?

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    FWIW, I own a Mesa Boogie Road Ready 4x10 with Eden drivers. It came that way from Mesa. And it sounds...really...good! :cool:

11. I had a EV from my 2x15 mesa reconed by EV for around $90 through my local music store. it's well worth the cost and it basically comes back a new speaker.. it really put the "woof" back in my woofer..:D

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've had WeberVST recone some old SRO15s (pre EVM) and they did a great job. The kits are aftermarket (i.e. non-EV) but they do a great job of matching cone/coil etc. properties.

And the price is great too!!!

Or try www.circuitshop.com. I got a quote from them for a PAS 10 and it sounds pretty good...

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm not sure but I doubt it. Mesa more than likely asked EV to make up speakers to certain specs. I know for example that the Eminence drivers in Ampeg are very different to the over the counter Eminence, so this is likely to be similar.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oops I misread the question. My point is that the speakers are probably NOT the same.