1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

E-Z Rollers, "Walk This Land" bass tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rasthedoctor, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Only decent clip I could find (from Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels)

As we're all aware, youtube audio tends to be shabby at best, but it comes across ok here. It's a pretty typical tone for D'n'B, and I'm curious if any of you have tips for achieving it (with or without pedals). On one hand it sounds like rolling off all of the highs and most of the really deep deep lows would do it, but as yet I've failed to match it up.

Thoughts?

2. I can get close to the tone with just a DOD FX25 and eq that cuts boomy lows (<50-120hz)and most highs above 400-500hz. Some deadish roundwounds might help too, because the bass sounds like it has a shortish, but not flatwound-short decay.

Here's a link with higher quality and the beginning of the tune if'n ya care:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp8nBkIv4CI

3. merlinaz

merlinaz

Apr 6, 2008
    Germany
    I get nearly exactly that sound with a Boss OC-2 using only the OCT1 and play everything one octace higher, like at 12th fret.
    The sound here has some pretty high notes in...dunno if you can reach these notes.
    Also an envelope filter can help getting more attack and some higher frequencies into the tone.

merten

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    It's basically just a pure sine wave... a Moog Freqbox or Chunk synth might be able to get there... or you could use an octaver like the Boss OC-2 with the -1 octave soloed.

5. yup just learned the tune. I got really close with just a DOD FX 25 and some creative eq/ pickup balance. Favored the neck pickup slightly I did. It doesn't sound as clean as in the recording, but very close and still has the same lovely butter bass sound that sounds HUGE when played with a proper PA