Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA 208 vs Accugroove 208ish cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm curious as to whether anyone has opinions on these two cabinets. I used to own 2 EA 208's and sold them to another talkbasser locally. I switched to an Epifani 310 which definitely has more ooomph than the 208's but does lack the crispness brought about by the two midrange speakers and a faster transient woofer maybe. They just didn't penetrate the bottom end into the size venues I played. They're selling used in the $350-500 range.

The new 208 Accugrooves are interesting also and are a little more lightweight than the EA's (about 7 pounds lighter it seems) has an extra tweeter and is more of an oblong shaped cabinet. I think both are similar in their low end hz range..like 38 or 39. They're 14+ inches deep vs only 11 ish for the EA's and the port is larger.

I've also owned an Aguilar 112 but it added more thickness not punch to the 208's. I don't need additional thickness right now.

The Accugrooves are not available used, maybe not new yet either. I'm thinking about adding one cabinet to my mix to add the punch and clarity to my Epifani which don't sound shabby without any brethran speaker cabs being added.

I'm sure an additional EA and/or AccuGR would sound great, but there we go adding another 41 to 48 pounds to the shlepp and another trip to the car. I'm already more than loud enough in my band so it's not a volume thing. It's strictly a tone/comfort thing. The Epifani is the best single cabinet I've ever played through especially considering price, size, and weight vs volume and tone. It's a great balance. Since I got it used, it was a tremendous value.

Any thoughts on this....will the $800+ Accugroove be that much better than sucking it up for another used EA 208 for 1/2 the price? Will I even notice the difference except in my wallet? Is there some other small diameter speaker cabinet that could add a lot to my sound without burying me financially or giving me a hernia?

BTW, I play 5 string fretted bass exclusively.

Thanks

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Larry, Im not sure what your gigs are like and what your normal gig rig is but it might be worth it to check out a Berg 322. Lows mid and highs all in one of course this has nothing to do with your original question and it may be more than what your looking for.

3. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've heard nothing but good things about the 322. So has my Chiropractor. Seriously, if I was 20 years younger or had roadies, I'd jump on that cabinet.

I see some serious torn ligaments and ripped Corinthian leather in my car with the Bergie. The epifani is about as large a footprint as I can handle.

Great Idea though. Thanks

Larry

4. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    buying the 208's used? There's a guy selling two of 'em right now on ebay with road cases and casters. They're in perfect or almost shape. I don't imagine someone buying cabs with 8 inch speakers and playing them at punk levels. I played mine pretty loud but the cones barely ever moved!!

How come you won't consider them used?

Larry

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Larry,

i was really interested in a dual Tri208 setup, and asked the boyz at Luthier's Access, as well as the Accugroove gents.

they both told me, the 208 is more suited for upright use. they said, using a pair in tandem might sound great. but in an electric setup, they highly discouraged it. they said, the 208's might lack the low end punch and oomph you'd expect in an electric situation. prolly the same problems you're facing now.

they said the 208 was more for sound "reinforcement" to an already audible upright bass in smaller jazz clubs. they instead suggested the larger single or a pair of the 1x12's they offer.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

They were right on the money. My VL208 is an incredibly transparent cab for DB....it adds NOTHING to the sound except volume. But on BG - especially 6-string - I like the extended bottom end of my 12" cabs much better. When I play a doubling gig, I take one of each, which is a good compromise.

7. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    That's a much costlier hang up than buying new bass gear!! The Epifani is the first speaker cab I've bought used. It's been a great experience so far. Problem is, for the EA208, ya got no choice unless you've called all their dealers to see if just maybe they got a new one that they couldn't sell!!

Thanks for responding. This has been fun so far!!

:L

8. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    Here is some interesting information. The VL-208's are built like a tank, and are the most accurate sounding bass cabinet ever produced. Granted, their sensitivity is lower than the current EA products and they are a bit heavier, but if you want pureness and accuracy, there is simply no equivalent. Plus, we have replacement parts for years of service. I own two of the 208's and will never give them up. If you see a used 208 and want that sound, don't hesitate to go for it.

Gary Gibilisco, EA

9. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I felt that I needed multiple cabinets to do what I required. My head, a sunn 1200S, is no slouch volumewise, with as a guess, 600 watts or so at 8 ohms, 900 at 4 and 1200 at 2? The 208's sound opened up significantly when 2 cabinets were used. It didn't however, give me the phatness to go with the punch and clarity I loved about them so I got an Aguilar 112 solely for the purpose of adding some thickness to the sound. When I added thickness to the EA's at the volume I was playing at, they would break up, even with my head not peaking.

So, I added the 112, and then it occured to me just how much investment I was having in speakers and how much overall weight I was carrying around and made a life decision, ONE CABINET's got to do it.

So, I looked at what was available, how much wattage, how much weight, how accurate they were advertised to be, how big it was, and came up with the Epifani 310 as my choice.

Although I can't say that it sounds quite as good as my 3 cabinets together, or even as good in some ways as the twoEA's, it gives me Almost as much clarity, Almost as much punch, definitely more bottom without distortion, and I can get away with one cabinet, carriable, and shleppable.

Now my quest hasn't ended yet. I'm going to look into other single cabinets that will give me my 3 cabinet sound without the weight, and at a reasonable price less than my total for the 3.

We'll see if that's available in AccuGroove's Whappo jr.

Thanks again, I have nothing but GREAT things to say about EA cabinets.

Larry

10. I find this a bit weird, with the effusive praise you give this cabinet, and that you work for EA, that you dont make this cab anymore. This doesnt give me much in the way of consumer confidence that, to quote, "the most accurate sounding bass cabinet ever produced." is discontinued by the company of which the author of this statement works.

Not to sound like a flame, but I only see your contributions in EA threads alone. IMnsHO, it appears very self-serving when you do.

I don't doubt that EA makes the quality products that you say, or that your service is anything less then spectacular (as many Forumites who I deeply respect have reinforced), I am just feeling "sold" upon.

11. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    You are reading way too much into my reply.

The VL208 is an older design cabinet which fell out of favor a few years ago because our changing customer base wanted a more aggressive sound in a lighter and more compact package, hense the CXL and Wizzy series we now manufacture. If you play the VL's versus the CXL's, you will hear that the VL's are very studio monitor-like. They are very flat sounding and very accurate and pure. The CXL's retain much of the same smoothness and accuracy, but with a little more contemporary edge. So, if you are looking for the original VL sound, you are presently in the minority, and finding a used VL is the only way to go. My point was simply that we have a good supply of spare parts for the VL series, so don't hesitate to buy used. Bottom line, running a successful business is knowing your customer base and the ever changing market. Models come and go.

Regarding my lack of opinion regarding other companies, what else can I say? I am an EA fan and am partially responsible for the EA sound. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyones tonal perception differs. The EA sound is not for everyone and there are many other products to choose from. The important thing is that you choose what works for you; but of course, I hope it is EA.

Gary Gibilisco, EA

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The EA sound could be for everyone, as long as "everyone" is prepared to get their "coloration" from the amplifier side of things (this includes preamps). I like the option of transparency added into the mix, which I was never able to get from any other cabinets until I found EA. I'd love to actually HEAR some of these Accugroove cabinets next to mine. I have no idea what they sound like, but the hype sure sounds good. :)

13. I agree with CF. I owned a VL208 and have never heard a cab that sounded this good. I sold the cab :(when the new CXLs came out as I needed something a little louder and owned a vl110 as well.
    Regarding the comment about Gary, I think it is a little unfair. Gary is posting here to give us accurate info on EA and has helped to clear up some misconceptions and rumours about EA cabs and amps. I see this as an extension of EA's excellent customer service. Thanks again Gary!
    There are other dealers/ manufacturers on this board as well. I see no problem with them giving accurate information about what they sell.( It's not like Gary is telling everyone that other cabs suck and not to buy them. )