Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA cabs for PA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Nov 10, 2003.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Finding myself in the awkward position of having a sound man cancel on our band with short notice, I took a long look around my crowded basement music room and said, "Hey, I've got a wall of cabs here, and I don't REALLY need to use ALL of them for my rig, so maybe I could run sound for us!" So, just to be sure, I e-mailed John Dong and asked him if he thought that my EA cabs would work well for PA use (they have the range, after all). He said absolutely, and that he knew of a number of bass players that also used their EA cabs for PA use. So, I scraped together some of the PA/bass gear I have acquired, and managed to piece together a workable system.
    [​IMG]

Please note: The human head in the photo is not a part of this PA system. It belongs to the bass player from the opening band.

This setup really worked well. Now that I have my iAMP 800 (you can't quite see it, but it's on top of the CX-310 and Epi T-112 that barely made it into the image), I was able to use my main rig amp (PLX 3002) for the mains. On stage left, I had a similar tower, except there I had one VL-208 and one VL-110, instead of two VL-208's. And yes, that is a mini-fridge with the Epi T-110UL sitting on top of it. :D This band has priorities!;)

I ended up borrowing some wedge style monitors, but I kinda wish I hadn't. When I was testing the monitors (before the guy with the wedges got there), I was using my two Epifani T-112's, and they totally cranked. Very nice sounding, and I could get tons of volume without feedback. Once I hooked up those wedges, the high end was unbearable, and I had to really reduce the volume to control feedback. Unfortunately, I didn't have a dedicated EQ to use on the monitors, although I did run them through my Eden Navigator and used the parametrics to trim out some of the high end. Moral of the story, I should have stuck with the Epi's as monitors.

All in all, I was very impressed with how the VL-series cabs handled vocals, guitar, and kick drum. They really blew away the Yamaha PA cabs that are on the stands above them.

Perhaps I have found some justification for my ridiculous arsenal of bass cabs... :bassist:

Later, Tom.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D

Good work.

I've used my bass rig as a DJ rig before but I would never have thought to try it as a PA FOH.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    All you need is one more VL-208.

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It was really out of necessity. No sound man, and too late to find somebody else. Yes, I could have borrowed some cheap, beat up PA gear, or rented some cheap, newer gear (not too many options here in Fremont, Ohio), but I looked at what I had on hand, and said what the hey. As it turned out, I was amazed at how well those VL-series cabs worked. In fact, I am probably going to quit using sound support at some of our smaller shows. I just wish that I had kept the Epi's as monitors, and not used those feedback-prone wedges. I'll know better next time.

Later, Tom.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You are evil!!! Don't even get me started! ;)

But that is a good idea... :D

Tom.

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm not - I've used my Acmes for small gigs and I've yet to hear a PA that sounds as clear, fast and deep! I'd expect the EA cabs to be just as good and then there's Accugroove - how about a FOH made of a pair of El Whappo + Whappo Grande stacks?

Alex

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good point, Alex. For those bass cabs that are designed to be relatively flat, with balanced, full-range frequency response, they will probably all make very good PA cabs. An Accugroove PA would certainly kick!

One nice thing about the EA cabs is that with the bottom handles, you can tilt them back for monitors. Maybe I will try that next time, and use the Epi T-112's along with some EA cabs for the mains.

Tom.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice tom!

if there was anyone to make a soundman, it'd be a bassist. and definitely NOT a guitarist! :rolleyes:

FYI, at a recent wedding, we used my Acme B-4, w/ the mid driver and tweets turned down, as a sub for my bud's DJ setup, and woah momma! talk about kickin'. :cool:

9. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Great thinking Tom.

I've used my bass cabs as monitors & PA mains with unreal success. It's scary when your bass gear blows away the PA system.

:D :eek: :D :eek:

10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    lol Nice! Love the EA rig. It really is cool how some bass gear can blow away the sound of some PA systems. I frequently use my cabs for that purpose when doing Jazz singer gigs.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm surprised I'm the first one to mention this, but

YOU HAVE ENTIRELY WAY TOO MANY CABS!

I like it:D

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Oh, you're not the first! ;)

Heck, I even have one more ("just one more!") on the way, which I am eagerly awaiting. More on that later.

Tom.