Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA CXL-112 as standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Nov 22, 2002.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I know this cab has been dicussed at length here but I haven't found much about its use as a stand*a*lone. It has been described as "much louder" than other high quality (berg, aggie, epi) 112s. Anyone using just one of these? How big a gig can you do with one? How does the volume and sound compare to other 112s? I have an aggie 112 so any comparisons to this cab would be very helpful.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I use my CXL112 as a standalone cab sometimes, but usually I use in in conjunction with another cab because I don't have enough power to drive it properly as a standalone cab (AI Clarus). That said, it kicks the pants off of any other single 12" cabinet I've played.

I also own a Bergantino HT112. Both are great cabs, but the EA is more efficient and more "powerful" sounding. The Bergantino is a bit more polite and a little smoother, which makes it a great addition to another cab, but makes me nervous about taking it and nothing else. YMMV.

3. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I now have two CXL112 cabs. One sounds HUGE and (2) sounds down right scary!

I am only using a 250 watt Trace head and it's LOUD (with one cab), even with the master at 2! These are very efficient cabs!

One cab can cover up to medium/large gigs easily.

I had 2 Bergie HT112's and they don't compare to the output and big bottom that the EA's have.

I've heard the ultimate combination is a VL and CXL cab.

To answer your original question, basss - it's definately the loudest 112 cab I've heard. The Aggie comes close in raw bottom ability, not it's not as tight and punchy and I definately prefer the mids and highs in the CXL112.

Hope this helps.

4. I also have used the CXL-112 as a stand alone at small-medium size pub gigs and it does cut through very well. Many people have commented on the great sound. I used it recently at a big band gig (20 piece band) and it was fine. It's much more efficient than other cabinets I have used, although I haven't tried other 112's.

At low-medium volume the output is well balanced across the full range of frequencies. However at louder volumes the balance seems to shift more to the midrange and higher frequencies with a less definitive low end. For that reason I sometimes supplement the CXL-112 with a single 15" cab for loud gigs.

Two CXL-112's together are supposed to sound awesome but I haven't actually tried this for myself (something to do with the cost of this cab!)

Hope this is helpful.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    True. I love to pair the CXL 112 and the VL208. Nothing touches that combo. :)

6. I use the CXL-112 as a standalone cab with the iAMP 350. I see no need to augment it with another cab, either for loudness, or frequency response. This cab has excellent tight lowend response. Highs are great as well.

I can keep up with a drummer and lead guitarist on a Mesa half stack without having to drive the amp so hard that it even comes near clipping.

Geoff

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if i wasnt such a wuss, i'd use the CXL as a standalone instead of my 39 lbs. Bergie. :(

that thing just feels assaulting.

8. Well, check this out.

Geoff

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Geoff,

you bastid!!! :D

woah, since when did EA do these???

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    SWEET! I think this could be the latest installment in the "cab of the month club".;) But damn thats expensive for a 112 cab.

Thanks for the replies yall.

11. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    According to EA, they are now using a light weight Italian plywood to build the CXL cab's, and the Toronto store in the link got the very first ones. I understand that all of their dealers should have the lighter ones in about a month. BTW, those prices are in Canadian dollars--to convert to US $, multiply by .63--then the price starts to look reasonable.

To add to the thread, I just bought a Bergantino HT112 which I like a lot and plan to use as a stand-alone cabinet with my Walter Woods Ultra for most of my BG gigs (mostly dances with a 3-horn band doing Motown, Chicago, EW&F, etc.). I think it will be plenty loud, and I love the sound once I learned to boost the bass knob on my amp or my axe. I have paired the Bergie with an Acme B-1, an EA VL-110 and a VL-208, and it sounds good with all of them and in any combination. Adding another cabinet, even one as inefficient as the Acme, seems to smooth out the Bergantino a lot. The Bergie is also very compact although its 39 lb. weight is the same as the new EA CXl-112's.

12. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I've been struggling with the 112 issue for a while. Aggie?, Bergie?, Epie? ..Well, I finally gave up and put down the cash today on the new lighter EA cxl-112 (39lbs). Should have it next week cause they're shipping now in the US….Ok, now I can sleep.

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I recently e-mailed EA and they said they would no longer produce any cabs over 50 lbs. That's why the CXL 210 is gone now.

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Wow. That's pretty cool. I really dig my EA 1x8, and Aguilar 1x12 setup.

I've not heard the EA 1x12s, but as good as the 1x8 sounds, I can imagine how a larger cone would sound fuller.

I've got a second Aggie for louder gig situations, but I've got something in the works to maybe trade out the Aggie for a Bergantino (With some added cash, of course).

I really need to stop reading these speaker threads. I'm prefectly happy with my sound, and yet you people keep making me want to buy new speakers. :p

15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah me too. I have 2 Vl210's but I'm getting tempted by the CXL-112

16. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I emailed Bob Gollihur (an EA dealer) about these cabs and this is what he had to say:

"I have not heard the new cabinet yet (they are just being produced) but am told that the midrange response is improved, with their sound closer to the VL series that used the same cabinet material. That would be very good news. The price is going up $50 list, which translates to about $40 retail.

I hope to get some of the first ones produced."

The GAS is getting painful...