Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA Cxl 112 Tweeter Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedroferreira, Aug 26, 2005.

1. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    I barely notice a difference in the highs of my cxl when I put the tweeter level control in min. and when I put it to max. position.

Is this normal?

I notice a difference (of course when I put the level pot in max. it gets more highs), but I expected to have a more drastic effect turning the pot clockwise. The swr and warwick cabs I had, have that drastic effect when I put the level control on max. has opposed to min.

I’m not complaining on the cab. Just asking of this is normal.

Thanks,

Pedro

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Depends on how it's wired. Most cabs use an LPad wired so that you can turn the tweeter completely off. The EA might be using an attenuation circuit that only reduces the signal by a set dB level.

3. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have an EA cxl 110, and the tweeter is pretty subtle on it.
    RD

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Pedro,

I haven't had any experience with the Warwick cabs and have not had a chance to listen to a CXL side by side with an SWR so I don't have a reference for the drastic effect those might have. I played with a CXL tonight and I like the subtleness that is there. There is definitely a difference through the range of the tweeter. I like hearing harmonics and chords ringing more clearly as I add more of the tweeter. Different strokes for different folks.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Some of the cabs that I owned in the past had really hissy tweeters, so it was very easy to tell when they were on, and the louder you cranked them, the more apparent the hiss (so I usually dialed them almost all the way out). On my CxL-112 (and other EA cabs), I do not hear any hiss (unless it is otherwise present in my signal), so it is not so easy to tell how high it is set. But, if you can get someone to twist the knob for you while you are playing, you can hear a difference. Even so, I don't think that it is set up to yield a dramatically different tone with the tweeter set at different levels.

Tom.