EA CXL-112 vs. Bergantino 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Got a chance today to A/B these two cabinets for a couple of hours. I own the EA cab, and was testing the Berg.

After trying both with both DB (Czech carved with K&K pickups) and BG (Smith 6) through several different heads, I honestly couldn't say that either was better than the other. The EA was a bit punchier and slightly "hotter" in the lows, while the Bergie was a tad more open and "woody". Both cabs sounded awesome both in combo with an Eden WT-1000 (bridged to mono) poweramp & Alembic FX1 pre, and with my Clarus. Since I couldn't decide which I liked better, I bought the Bergantino, so now I have both!

Both are built like tanks, and both kick a serious amount of ARSE with either axe. The Bergie is a bit smaller and lighter, which is a plus, but (my only complaint) it also has a cheesy top-mounted handle as opposed to the EA's indestructible side mount handles. I'd recommend either with no qualms.

On a side note, I was mightily impressed with the Eden/Alembic head combination: headroom for days, and a LOT of tone control. Somehow, the tube aspect of the Alembic didn't produce any of the mushiness that the Aguilar pre did with the same setup. The Aggie might be fine for BG, but it blew major chunks for DB. The Eden/Alembic combination was in the same price/power range as the EA iamp 750 I've been waiting for (it hasn't quite been released yet). Any thoughts on any of these units? I'm getting power hungry all of a sudden!
  2. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Thanks for the review , Chris! I've been wondering how my Bergantino HT112's would sound compared to the new EA cabs. The Bergs really are hard to beat for the weight, size and sound. Also, you don't find a much better person than Jim Bergantino.

You've made me feel better about my choice!

Do you highly recommend the Clarus heads? I've been curious about them. Aren't they coming out with a 500 watt (at 2 ohm) version soon? Could you describe the sound? Thanks!
  3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Just givin up the props for the berg 1-12

I own

woods ultra high
    berg1-12 no tweeter
    sans amp bddi
    87 fender 62 reisue (I think)
    Carved double bass k+k bass max+mic
    plywood same pickup
    stu hamm ugre 1 bass strung piccallo

In the last week Ive played

2 blues gigs with electric and double bass
    used the electric heavily through the sans amp getting the most tubie old bernished sound I could used the plywood double bass and bolth cabs the band in me a harp player guitar and drums we play alot of chicago harp blues cutting is not a issue but gettting a nice full sound on electric and a natural sound on the up right is.On the double bass I mostly the pick up (almost no mic)
    1 coffee shop gig with a dobro player I play slap/country 2 feel double bass.I used 1 cab the one with out the tweeter the plywood with only the mic in this case I use the amp only to add a little volume to my acoustic tone so the amp is a soft as possible trying to retain a natural a tone ass possible.
    1 rehersal with a classic rock band at school playing everything from one iron maidon song a couple of sabbeth tunes zeppelin heart ect..
    I use bolth cabs and the sans amp (just a little) on the fender cutting is important with this band (3 guitars keybords hard hittin drummer and vocals) and volume.
    1 rehersal of a gospel band playing contemperary gospel
    with this I use bolth cabs and the sans amp I try to get the most modern sound I can and I slap alot ala marcus
    2 diferent rehersals/jams playing standards
    One cab carved double bass trying to use as much of on mic sound as I can 2 horns and a piano the drummer is good and the volume is kept to a very nice level
    1 berklee jazz funk jam the kind where you play the chicken for 20 min and sissy strut in 7/4
    bolth cabs bolth electrics extented solos enough sans amp to warm up the sound but the notes gotta come out fast and focused for those solos

As you can see I bring these bergs into a lot of different situations and I gotta say I LOVE them theve done everything Ive thrown at them and they have been able to adjust to all the different tones that I was trying to get. sure I did have to boost the bass (alot) on the sans amp and eq to get that fat tube thing for the blues gig but they stood right there and took no problem!mabye the handle are a little lame but the cabs are small and light enough the (hopefully) they wont ever rip

I highly recomend! give GIBSON GEEK a call hes a hell swell fella who will give you a solid deal these great cabs!(thanks Geek)

sorry about the grammer and spelling

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I love my Clarus, and I've used it in all kinds of situations. For most things I do, it's an easy choice. For the louder things, I'm looking for something with about 5 times the power for headroom. In the meantime, running the Clarus with both 112 cabs should keep me out of trouble for a while.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As a side-note, Chris: I played a gig last night using just the HT112 Bergie powered by my EA iamp600 and was VERY pleased. Never got above 10 o'clock on the master volume (this is a small, private lodge) but the tone was superb. It gave me every nuance of my Roscoe fretless 6 and had pleanty of punch and bottom. I couldn't believe how fat that single, small cab sounded on the Roscoe Monstro B! I had the Bergie sitting on a metal milk crate, BTW. Very solid and got it up high enough to hear and still couple with the floor nicely for a good low-end. I'd love to hear the iamp600 with the EA 112. Bet it kills.
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for the story...it's always nice to hear tales of how the gear you just bought is actually as nice as you thought it was when you bought it. I'm going to take both cabs to a doubling gig tonight and see how they do with the Clarus.

I'm feeling torn between waiting for the iamp 800 to come out, and grabbing the WT1000 and a preamp. Assuming that the power is in the same ballpark, does anybody have any tone comparisons between any EA iamp head and the Eden WT1000? Any input would be appreciated.
  7. It does.
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My experience with EA and Eden (I have owned and currently own and use both) is that, in broad terms, EA is less colored and offers significantly more clarity. Eden gear, on balance, offers an appealing, workable sound but it has a distinctly "warm" signature sound. OTOH, the EA iAmp600 (the only one I know from experience) seems to add less to the sound and allows the bass to come through better.

I am also waiting for the iAmp800 and plan to get one as soon as they're available. I'll keep my WT800 (and WT400) for the time being but, given a choice between the two, I choose EA.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have the Bergie 3/10 & 2/12 cabs......I love them!
    I just ordered the 1/12 from BassNW for smaller gigs.......once you get used to the Bergantino hi end......your spoiled:D
  10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I agree with that one usually I turn down or off the horn (at least I did on my eden cab) but tI deffeinettly like the horn on the Berg

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm pretty sure I've asked something similar before, but can you tell me what kind of magic you can work with the iamp's tone-shaping features? I can't tell what all of the little sliders are for in the EQ section of the pre from the fuzzy pictures on the website I've seen.....can you pretty much dial in any sound you want? And with your 600, how far can you crank it @4ohms before your tone starts to crap out? Do you run out of amp headroom before you run out of speaker headroom, or is it the other way around?

Sorry if i've asked these questions before....age has its privileges, but memory isn't among them in my case. BTW, we share the same birthday...do you suppose there is something about the phases of the moon on Aug. 27 that produces EA/Bergantino GAS?
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Go here: http://www.euphonicaudio.com/manuals/iamp600man.pdf
    and print out the manual, which does a pretty fair job of describing the eq and other iAmp features. I run mine with the flat button engaged, however, prefering to eq at the bass. I really like the way that amp sounds flat so I haven't used the eq or presets much. They are VERY effective, however, at dealing with weird room sonic conditions (which is about all eq should do anyway, in my view).

I seldom run my 600 with the master higher than 11 o'clock. I've heard complaints of headroom limitation but I've never been there. With the Epifani T212, I've played clubs where they like it loud...and it was loud at 11 o'clock. Most of the time, I use it with a single Bergie 112 or 210 and then barely get above 10 o'clock. So, as you might imagine, I'm not pushing this amp very hard.

8/27: Yeah, us and Lester Young, Sophia Loren and LBJ!
  13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Thanks! Dumb question, but....if you hardly ever push your 600 very hard, why do you want to buy an 800?
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, good question. The answer: I'm an addict and must have the latest! Seriously tho, my theory is that you can never have too many good amps and I've never lost money (well, almost never) when I've decided to re-sell 'em. I'm just very intrigued by the idea of a new, higher power EA that would (supposedly) put to rest any headroom concerns as with the 600. These guys make a good amp. I'm anxious to hear their new product.
  15. Chris, how much of a difference in volume did you hear between the two cabs? According to the published specs, the EA is 6 dB louder than the Bergantino, but I read a post here saying that there is only a very small difference between the two. Could you give your experience?
  16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The EA is a bit louder than the Berg, but when you hear them at the same time it just sounds like the EA's tone is little more solid and more "throaty" - definitely warmer, but not as smooth as the Berg. Together they really do give the best of both worlds, especially with the Berg on top. I'm really looking forward to playing some louder gigs with the pair... the Berg is replacing a Bag End 1x15 in my rig, which sounded huge but also muddy, and threw the balance out of whack towards the BASSHEAVY side of the spectrum. And you know how I feel about BASSHEAVY. :D

In short, the EA is hotter, the Berg more open and airy. One is not better than the other.
  17. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I recently bought a Cxl 112 and have been very pleased with it. I also have VL series 110, 208, 210 and I definitely like the efficiency of the Cxl112. I haven't been blown away with the Cxl on upright yet, (I generally use my Acme B-1 and Raezer's Edge Twin 8T) but it has sounded great and bandmembers have commented they can hear me better on stage. In really bad rooms the fact that it is voiced nicely in the midrange has been a great help. Haven't tried the Berg but I've played through their 310s at studios and been really impressed.
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Mmmmmm, Mmmmmm, Mmmmmmm...

could you have picked a better comparison? :D

i love my Bergie. full round lows, with a glassy top end that sounds great for my funk/slap work. makes putting down my bass even more harder. tho, i do mainly gig with my Aguilar, my bergie is usually what i reach for when i'm recording or at home chillin', yahmean???

i like EA's CXL112, but it didnt have that juiciness the bergie's had. but dagit, had a tone that could kick the bricks outta anything out there. clean, mean fightin' machine.

but, it weighed a ton, and i needed light, yet loverly tone, so the bergie won by a landslide.

but a pair of the CXL112's could quite possibly knock down walls, if improperly used for evil purposes. ;)
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i'm in love with your gear... :D

how's the Bergie 2x10??? is it punchie enough? i tried both the bergie 2x10 and an aguilar 2x10, and to my chagrin, i might have liked the aggie better. seemed to have a bit more of an authoritative punch compared to the bergie.

what's your take?
  20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm starting to think of the Berg/EA combo as my "Good Cop/Bad Cop" rig. Ever see "L.A. Confidential"? The Bergie is Edmund Exley, and the EA is Bud White.