Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA CXL 1x12 Pairings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JJBluegrasser, Sep 3, 2003.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi Everyone,
    I know we've hit on this issue tangentially a few times, but I was wondering if anyone has combined a CXL 1x12 with another 1x12 or any other cab, or combination of cabs with good results?

I have a CXL 1x12 for my upright, and it is deadon, what I want to for that setup. I want to put together a bigger stack for bigger rooms and to be used with my MIA Active Jazz Bass as well. My 1x12 gets lost in large-ish venues (not talking about civic centers here), but I am wary of just adding another CXL 1x12 because of some of the negatives I've heard for BG. I know it's personal preference, I was just interested in anyone had anything to say on the topic.

If I've missed this topic somewhere else, please let me know...

Thanks,
    Jason

2. A couple of folks on this board who double have mentioned pairing it with the Begantino 12. I've also read of bass guitarists who like the sound of 2 CxL12s.

Couple of questions: When you play the larger gigs, are you going into the pa or providing all the bass sound yourself?
    How much power are you running into it and how flexible is your eq? (getting lost sounds like a low power problem or not enough mids)

3. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hey Joe,
    When I play these larger rooms, there is the potential that I would be providing all the bass volume.
    I am driving my current cabinet with a PLX1202 bridged, so it's around 700W into 8 ohms. If I get a second 8 ohm cab, I'll be driving 1200W into 4 ohms. I think that should be enough, but maybe not. I'm not talking about huge rooms or anything, just nightclub sized venues (playing with a drummer).
    My Eq is not very flexible at the moment. I'm using a Fishman Platinum Pro-Eq as my pre-amp. Again, it sounds terrific for my upright. Could I not be driving the power amp to full volume? That is another possibility I guess.

Thanks for the advice so far...

Jason

4. Geeez, 700W should be pretty loud with that cab, but it is only one speaker. A second speaker of any kind would really increase your volume. A few folks have mentioned adding a 15" to their clean 12's to get more of an old school sound.

A couple of things to try with the single cab. Although I don't think the input to the power amp is a problem, maybe Bob Lee can comment. In the meantime, if you're concerned about not driving the amp enough with the 1/4" preamp out, try the xlr out (or vice versa).

The Fishman eq should be enough to do the following. Roll off your lows 5-10%, then play with increasing your mids and low mids. This should help you cut through the mix and be heard.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I really like pairing a 1x12 with a 1x10, myself. My Epifani T-112/T-110UL really match up well. That said, the CXL-112 is going to have more mids than most other 1x12's, so conventional (?) wisdom may not apply. Personally, everyone who I have heard from who tried two CXL-112's really liked the sound. I know Bob Gollihur has used this setup in the past (I think he's using two VL-208's with an iAMP 800 now).

Adding a CXL-110 might also be a good idea. Or, once they become available, add one of their new NL-210's. I think that would be a killer setup.

Later, Tom.

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Get rid of the CXL112 and get a pair of Berg HT112's. That's the best pairing you can do.:bassist:

7. Never tried the EA's but I can testify the Berg HT112/EX112 rocks!