Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA CXL112 Weight Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I've got back problems so I thought I was going with the lightest loudest speaker cab I could find the EA CXL112II at 39 lbs. I was even happier when the told me that the new tweeters would be about 2 lbs lighter bringing it down to 37 lbs.
    Well I couldn't figure it out until the other night when I weighted the CXL on an AirCargo very accurate scale. The CXL always felt heavier than my BagEnd S15D, well the scale showed the BagEnd at 44 lbs (They're exact spec. weight) and the CXL at 45 lbs. I've seen some other post where they say that it's the paint that makes it heavier but come on 6 lbs! Anybody else finding them heavier than they're stated specs?

2. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I'm impressed! I sent an e-mail to EA complaining about this weight issue and to my surprise they responded quickly and on a Sunday. Don't get me wrong I think the CXL112 is a great speaker cab, I just thought I was getting something a little lighter. They told me that it is the coating process which adds the weight. I sent them a reply asking for some options.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm not surprised, because that black stuff that they finish the cab surface with looks pretty thick.

Maybe they should weigh the cab after the black finish material is applied.

In any case, I very happy with my CXL-12L because of its relatively lighter weight. I had back problems too, and had been previously lugging 70lb Eden 2-10XLTs.

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    My older CXL112 weighs in at 54lbs. It was rated on the EA website at 49. Its very portable and I think it has a great pound-to-sound ratio for something this size. I would have been happier if EA said something like "approx. 54 lbs." or mentioned something about the added weight of the paint- wieght is a very important spec to some people!

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yes, their excuse is a dumb one. The issue was brought up here with the older heavier ones, and EA responded with just that excuse. Now the new lighter ones are out, and they're still heavier than advertised.

Somehow I doubt that the variance in the painting process is 12 pounds.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What amp are you guys using your CXL112 cabs with?

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I hope I am not intruding. I don't know anything about that EA cab. But I am sure that the Avatar 112 and compact 115 are the weight that they claim. Unfortunately the first series, which were around 35lbs are not available right now. You might find them on ebay sometime though.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. And I don't give a hoot how light the cab is when it's stripped back. I want to know how much weight I have to carry around!

This has been a pet hate of mine for years in the motorcycle world. They advertise the weight of the bike "dry", meaning with no lubricants or fuel. How silly is that..... why stop there. why not remove the wheels and the handlebars while you're at it.......

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    emjazz,

I'm running my CXL-12L with an iAMP 800. I posted a brief review earlier in another thread.

I like the rig very much. It took some "getting used to", on my part, and also sometime to familiarize myself with the nuances of dialing-in a tone using the semi-parametric tone shaping section of the amp.

What took some "getting used to" was the evenly distributed tonality of both the amp and the head --- unlike my other rig which combines a GK 1001rb with Eden 2-10 XLTs. The GK / Eden has an agressive low-end and mid bass punch coupled with an equally agressive high end. The EA rig's sound, as its name implies, is very "euphonic". It's got a pleasant evenly distributed low, mid, and high end response. You can make it sound agressive if you want to though!

Sorry for getting off subject.

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    OK, back on subject...

my CXL-12L weighs 48 lbs, with the black finish, but without lubricants and fuel.;)

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That's a very strange - and stupid - marketing mistake. So easy to check. It makes you wonder what the other specs are worth if they are lying about something like the weight. Weight was a big factor when I selected cabs, I would have been disappointed to get something much heavier than I ordered.

Is it perhaps a version of the old "$9.99 looks smaller than $10.01" trick?

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Anyone know if this is the case with the CXL110 as well? I've been thinking about one of those, and weight is one of the main factors.

Thanks in advance :)

13. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    emjazz
    I'm using an Aguilar DB659 and a Stewart world 1.2. Sounds awesome! Loud and warm but still very clear with little EQing. Cuts through a dense mix without sounding harsh at all.

14. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I own 2 CXL110's and thought I'd try the CXL110L. It was noticeably lighter, easily the 6 lbs difference they advertise, but I did not put it on a scale. What I didn't like about the "L" version was the tone. Very mid rangey and a noticeable loss is low end. I got rid of it and kept my old ones.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just thought I would poke in and add that my Epifaini T-110UL is listed as 23 lbs., and to be honest, it feels even lighter. Sounds killer, too.

Joker has a recent thread about his new Ultra Light Mini Rig which you might want to check out. While not as uncolored as the EA's probably are, these little Epi cabs are very tight, clear and articulate.

On the EA weight issue, I just picked up a new to me VL-210 (today, in fact!), and let me tell you, those cabs are fairly heavy for their compact size! Especially since there are a total of 5 drivers in their "2x10"! I can't wait to get home and give it a test drive.

Tom.

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    You are gonna love that VL210. I've got two of them and they are unbelievable. I don't care how heavy they are. (72lbs btw). They love lots of watts. I run mine with a plx 1602 bridged.
    [​IMG]

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I also have not one but TWO VL-208's on their way to me as well. :D

And Gard is going to hook me up with another VL-210. So, when all is said and done, I will have two VL-208's and two VL-210's! :cool: :bassist:

My PLX 3002 should have fun pushing those!

Tom.

18. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    SHAAAWEEEEET

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :D

20. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    And now back to the topic at hand. I do think that EA posting "optimistic" weight specs does put a dent in their credibility. I was thinking about getting a pair of CXL112's to go with my VL210's. That would be freakin awesome. Even at 45lbs each I think thats pretty reasonable.