Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I've been very interested in this cabinet. I'm all set for a colored "rock rig" (2x10 + 1x18 + rack), and now I'm wanting a hifi 1x12 cabinet to use for my jazz gigs, pit work, and sideman jobs where I'm going through the PA anyway.

This looks like a good cabinet for me. Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to try one out before hand, but in the small chance that I didn't like it, I could sell it locally and not take much of a dive at all.

It's an 8 ohm cabinet, which leaves me with a few options to power it. My GK head (400-rbIII) puts out 150 watts at 8 ohms, and that is a loud 150 watts. I have a Carvin DCM 1000 power amp that puts out 225 watts at 8 ohms/side or 700 bridged. I'd think that the last option would be the best, so long as I kept the volume knob not at maximum.

Share your experiences with this cabinet.

Is it loud enough for the groups that you play with?

Does it sit well in the mix with other instruments?

How portable is it?

2. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Eric, you have a PM.
  3. jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    I am getting one as soon as I have the $
  4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I have the older 55 lbs. version of the CXL112 and find it very portable. It is very loud for its size. I've used it alone pushed by a bridged Stewart 1.2 (700 watts) in loud bands and it held up fine. The cab has a pronounced midrange which helps it cut through a dense mix. Nice fat bottom and clean highs too. It will sound a lot different from a colored rock rig you were thinking about. Best upright cab I've tried as well. It really brings out the character (for better or worse) of what you put into it.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The CXL112L it the best sounding cab I have owned. It is very hi-fi sounding, and LOUD! I haven't heard another cabinet that gives you this clear and accurate of a sound(except the Bergantino HT112). Go for it!
  6. From what you say you're looking for, it sounds like a perfect fit.

Loads of good information and discussion of this cab available by search in this forum and the amp forum on the DB side.
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I love my CXL112L. Nice and loud, great response over all frequencies with a slight midrange emphasis to help you cut through. Fat bass out of it too.
  8. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    hahaha...at least you've got a sense of humor after all this.
  9. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Look like we are travelling down similar paths...
    My colored rig is a GK head and two Eden 2-10XLTs. LOL!!!

My EA rig is an iAMP 800 and a CXL1-12L. Anyway, I'm chiming in late here, but here's my comments on the CXL 1-12L:

This cab is relatively light and easy to carry! It has great frequency response, and is capable of being played pretty loud. The low-end and mid-bass is very nice. Using my tone settings, the horn put out highs which were clear and refined, yet not harsh or brittle.

On a soft- to medium-volume R & B, funk, cover band gig, I was able to get a fat, articulate, punchy, bottom with nice highs and warm mids playing finger-style. The rig had no problem cranking out a funky Marcus Miller slap tone either. The bottom is suprisingly loud, full, and articulate for a small 1-12 cab. I suspect this is due to the EA driver specs and the transmission line design and tuning of the cabinet.

A single CxL 12L cab can handle most smaller lounges, clubs, and restaurants around town assuming that your bandmates are not volume-fiends who crank their amps. Provided you're running it with adequate power, the cab will give you plenty of clean low-end punch and volume. Naturally, any 12" driver does have its physical limitations, so it will eventually bottom-out if you push it beyond its capabilities. If that's the case, maybe you need a second cab.

I'm too lazy to write out all the specs on this stuff, so check out the EA web site if you're interested in the details.
  10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Thanks everyone, keep posting if you have more to say!

I've checked out the specs, and they look apealling to say the least. I'm in contact with a TB'er in the area, and will probably be checking out his CxL in the next week or two. I have a couple of offers from people who want to sell me one, which is awesome.

Thanks again guys! :)