EA CxL210 able to replace a 4x10 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joey_g_funk, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Better Stated: Is it possible to downsize from a mediocre 4x10 to a high-end 2x10 and maintain volume levels, all other things being equal?

How would a EA CxL210 stack up, volume-wise, with a low-to-mid-range 4x10 (Carvin)?

Assume 700w into each...

Could the EA replace the 410? The 410 is getting the job done, for now...

Considering a purchase of either (1) EA CxL-210, a pair of Acme B-2's, or a pair of GS112's. I would get (2) CxL's, but $$ is an issue.

I realize the Acme's and EA will have clearer tone, but the Aggie's are easier to find in the used market.

I searched, but I didn't find any comparisons of a CxL210 to a 4x10.

2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    It depends on the input sensitivity. The EA CxL 110 has a sensitivity of 103dB. Assuming EA used the same woofers on the CxL 210, the sensitivity would be 106dB. That'd be loud enough to compete with some of the loudest 4x10s. However, these statistics aren't always standard between manufacturers, and I wouldn't be surprised if the actual input sensitivity of the CxL 210 was much lower. The Acmes would be a good choice for band practice. I found that my Low B-2 wasn't adequate on it's own but with two you'd be set. For shows... you'd need a lot more power. A serious show is going to require 10 of them with PA support to be heard.
  3. Thanks for the input.

10 Acme's... hmmm "Dear Santa....."

By serious show, do you mean ARENA gig or what? I wouldn't think that you would need 10 to do a show, right?

Is sensitivity spec the only issue when trying to compare volume? I tend to think that there are more factors involved..

I can't seem to find a thread that does a comparison between a high-end 2x10 and a middle-of-the-road 4x10. Maybe I just have too big of expectation of high-end 2x10's volume.
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    The problem with the Acmes is that they're very inefficient. The Acme Low B-2 has an input sensitivity of 93dB, which is on the very low side for such a speaker cab. The Accugroove Tri-210L with the same configuration, albeit heavier and less deep, has an input sensitivity of 103dB. That means that the Accugrove is going to be twice as loud. To double the perceived output of a cab, you'd have to either multiply the wattage going in by 10, multiply the number of cabs by 10, or do a combination of the aforementioned. The current EA CxL 210 has a sensitivity of 100dB, meaning that it would take two of them to be as loud as the AG, or you'd have to pump in twice the amount of wattage.

That said, I still think that the Acme cabs sound awesome. However, they're just not loud enough for me. If you want something louder, one or two of their 4x10s will do the trick, but then you're losing out on portability. There are plenty of loud and deep cabs, but most of them are very heavy. Keep in mind that this is all very subjective. Although theoretically these statistics should be perfect, manufacturers will oftentimes use different methods and exaggerate statistics. The only way to know for sure is to try the cab.
  5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Your specs are wrong on the CXL210. Sensitivity is 102db.

The CXL210 is no longer made but I've seen 2 of them this week on the used market. The current cab is the NL210.
  6. Right, needmorebass, I saw one yesterday that's actually very near where I live...

Any opinions on high-end 210's vs. mediocre 410's?

I'm starting to think that my idea about high-end 210's being able to keep up might be flawed... I guess that they are much better in sound quality, but don't necessarily have equal output.
  7. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I own 2 CXL210's (along with 6 other EA cabs) and I think these are among the best cabs ever built. I would take 1 CXL210 over any 4x10" out there.
  8. Cool... that was the answer that I was looking for...!!!!!!!

Have you done any loud gigs with just one?
  9. slonlo420

Sep 20, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I also own a CXL210 and can say that it is all I'll ever need. I bridge a Crown PT2.1 at 800 watts into it with a DB680 on the front end and I have more than enough headroom and volume. I will say that with 700-800 watts that cab is the most transparent speaker enclosure I've ever heard. Some would definitely not like it that clean but if transparency, huge volume, and compact size is your thing then go for it! Oh yeah, I have yet to turn the master volume on my DB680 past 4 for any gig so far (small-medium sized venues).
  10. (with my arm twisted) So, basically you guys are telling me to go and buy this cab, then? I love the non-coloration that these supposedly have. That's what I've been looking for... The seller offered for me to try it out, to. It's not even 30min from my house.... awesome..

What a fair price be for a 2-yr old CxL-210 in exc. condition?

I've heard it's pretty heavy... EA's website says 24kg (~50lbs) is that right? I've read in other places that it's heavier...
  11. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    It's about 80 lbs. $500 would be a fair price.
  12. slonlo420

Sep 20, 2002
    Washington, DC
    $500 is what I was going to say also.
  13. Thanks for all the help, guys... that's in the ballpark for what the seller was asking...
  14. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Whoops, I didn't see that they still had a page for the CxL 210. If that's the case, then it's loud enough to compete with a 4x10... not a loud 4x10, but a decent one. Some 4x10s are very loud ( Eden and such ) with sensitivities in the 105+ range.
  15. Joey,

I have a NL-210 for my personal rig. It is WAY loud, clean and punchy. EA has done a remarkable job with this new cabinet. The weight is only 44 lbs, in contrast to the CxL-210 at 82 lbs (I don't know where that 24kg thing came from, but it's obviously a typo. They refer to the actual weight of the CxL-210 when describing the new NL-210 here: http://www.euphonicaudio.com/index.cfm?page=nl210.

Anyway, if weight is important to you, it might be wise to save up a few hundred more and go for the NL-210.

Just a thought.

16. Randy,
    Thanks for the advice. Initially, I was excited that I found a used EA cab for a decent price. I have been trying to downsize for a while. However, after realizing that the cab isn't as small as a I had hoped, and that it also weighs 82lbs, I'm having second thoughts... doesn't seem like I'm really downsizing, or reducing any weight issues...

I'll have to do some looking for a NL-210. Any thoughts on the NL-210's, or CxL-112, as far as the used market goes? Fair prices, availability?

Thanks for the info,

17. You'll probably have a pretty hard time finding a used NL-210. The CXL-112 shouldn't be a problem. I think there might be one in the classifieds right now in fact.

18. That's exactly what I've discovered so far....
  19. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    After reading this and the other EA cab thread about the weight of the CXL 210, I e-mailed EA and asked them about the weght. Here is their response

Hi Rick,

The weight of the CxL-210 varies from 58 to 62 lbs. The variation is due to the amount of finish applied. The poly is very heavy and they spray it so that the finish looks very even but the variations in the wood make it very difficult to do even though we use a special primer to minimize the variations.

Thank you for your interest in EA products,

John Dong
  20. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I have the original shipping box and UPS had the shipping weight at 87 lbs and I just put mine on a scale and it was 82 lbs. It also feels like twice the weight of my CXL112 when I pick it up.