EA Deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Nov 3, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I have located a EA 112 (cant remember what kind) and a EA head (iamp, but cant remember the wattage) for about $750 American together. Just assume for this sake that it is the lowest priced 112 and the lowest priced iamp that they make. Is this a good deal?

I'm not gonna say where... :p
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It might be! :D

Seriously, though, there are too many variables to tell. Is it new or used? Current offerings or discontinued product? Which model(s)? Of course, it's hard to go wrong with EA, and that seems like a very good price.

3. ShantiCat

ShantiCat Supporting Member

If the condition is okay, then it is a good/fair price. Lets say it is an iAMP350 - there is one for sale at Club Bass in TO for $450, then even if the CXL112 is the non L version it typcially sells for around $350 - 400. As Tom said in his post, they may be discontiuned and the two that I mentioned are, but it is all about the sound. If it is the combination I stated, you would want to get another 8 ohm cabinet to get the full 350 watts. I have a similar setup but it is the combo which is a 110 and I pair this with the 112. When I added the 112 to this combination it became a killer small rig.
  4. I got my iAmp350 and CXL210 for $1000, new old stock.
  5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    ok, it is the iamp 350, i called the place the other day and found out. the cab is 8 ohm, and i think it is the one with the tweeter (CXL 112?) and they were both used.

Im hoping ill be able to haggle him down a bit, anyone here know if someone who is willing to do an under the table deal (cash, no tax) might also be willing to haggle?
  6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Sounds like a good deal. I paid $350 for my cxl-112 (older heavier model). The weight difference between the old and light version doesn't appear to be all that great, and the older version is reputed to have better lows. note: I have never used the newer light cxl-112's so this is all heresay. I'd snag that if I were in the market for a new rig. I regularly play small to smallish medium shows with just my 112 (even handling FOH occasionally at small places), but with a 2nd 8 ohm cab, you should be set for most any venue.
  7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    yup, it was the CXL 112. At this point im thinking of going for it, anyone got any reason to say otherwise?
  8. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    That's a good deal - I use a iAmp350/110 combo with a CXL-112 (original) extension. Only weak point is the inability of the 110 to handle lows - has the "flutter" remarked upon in previous threads here on TB.

The 112 is a great cab, esp paired with the 350.
  9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Buy new? :bag:
  10. ShantiCat

What type of music do you play? Then decide if the voicing of EA is for you.
  11. ShantiCat

Come on, paying GST (Gouge and Screw Tax) is good for the country! ;)
  12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Gouge and screw tax, thats hilarious! i would say what PST is, but the mods would yell at me.

I play hard rock and metal, think hendrix, zep, sabbath, iron maiden, metallica
  13. ShantiCat

I will not try to dissuade you but this is similar to the type of music I play and I have found that I am actually trying to get away from this set-up. For one, you tend to need more power and volume. Also I compete with a full Carvin stack and another half stack so I need to push more air. The EA can tend to be very articulate and what I am trying to do is acutally become a little buried in the mix more if that makes any sense. I could go on an on about the virtues of EA because I think they make great gear but really go and play it and let us know what you think.
  14. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm using two CXL112's with my Bassman 135 (100watt all tube) head, and it is the best sounding rig I have used so far!! I play in an 8 peice ska/rock band with two singers, two horn players, guitarist, organist, and drummer. I have more than enough volume and tone :D I say play them first before you buy!!
  15. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    +1 on that. Your ears will tell you what you like. Although keep in mind playing in a store is different from playing with others.

My guess is you will want a second CXL112 or some other combination fairly soon if you are playing your style of music in a loud situation.

Hope my PM are helpful.
  16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    i already played the CXL through a 1amp 350, did i not say that i thought i did. I thought it was great, had the full roundness i was looking for without the boom. And the eq let me make the mids punchy and the highs clean.

Im going for it, provided i can convince my parents that i can buy this and save up enough for university, which i know i can. :rolleyes:
  17. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    The cab is on hold, but in the time it took me to confirm, he sold the head! AAARGH!!! :bawl:

So now i need to know: What is a good head to pair with an EA CXL 112 for rock and metal (think floyd, sabbath, maiden). Something with enough watts that it will be able to handle a jam/small gig situation situation, and will sound great (willing to sacrifice watts for higher quality, so think eden, aguilar, etc. mainly high end brands.) i do plan on throwing a second cab into the mix, just not for a while, so i know about the whole air thing.

Please! suggestions needed ASAP
  18. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thats to bad

i just bought an iamp 350

i haven't even tried it out yet. but i needed something at a good price, something that was reliable, and good quality, and can have some decent power...

i'm excited to get it on thursday

anyone got sweet info on the iamp350? its so hard to find any on the net
  19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

hey grug, the IAMP350 that u were gonna buy was from club bass right??

hahah, i bought that one..
  20. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON