Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA I-amp 800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    This looks like a great little head. It even has a tuner on it. Also takes a 2 ohm load! But how do they sound? I am used to my SWR SM-900 and Eden WT-400.

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I have an Iamp 500 and have spent time with both a WT 400 and a SM 400. The basic sound of the Iamp is warmer than the SWR and clearer than the Eden and less colored than either. The Iamp's EQ is super versitile and you dial in just about whatever sound you want. I really like mine, really.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    basss summed it up nicely. btwn the SWR and Eden. about in the middle. IMHO, EQ gives a punchier sound than the SWR, and not quite as muddy as the Eden.

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Is an EA iAMP-800 sufficient power at 4 ohms to drive a Bergantino HT322? What is the power rating at 4 ohms and at 8 ohms?

Does it only achieve 800W at 2 ohms?

Would the iAMP800 be a better match for my new F Bass with the Bergantino HT322 compared with my current Ashdown ABM500 EVO?

5. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    500 W @ 8 ohms
    800 W @ 4 ohm
    1000 W @ 2 ohm

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Power Output: 500 watts @ 8 ohms, 800 watts @ 4 Ohms, 1000 @ 2 Ohms. 2500 watts peak. Should be a great match for the HT322 :bassist:

7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks for the wattage info. Any comparisons to Ashdown ABM500 EVO's? I realize they are different animals, but still versatile and relatively the same power. But the Ashdown will not go down to 2 ohms. Nod goes to EA in that regard.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hmm, that description makes it sound kind of interesting.

9. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I tried one a few weeks ago and A/B'd it to my old trusted Craaft Bassic 400 and its the only amp I found so far that sounded clearly better than the old craaft.

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Would the iAMP800 be a better match for my new F Bass with the Bergantino HT322 compared with my current Ashdown ABM500 EVO?[/QUOTE]
    Would my Ampeg b15 be a better choice with my 57 p-bass compared with my kustom 3x15 and my 1969 Rickenbacker? '80s Peavey and it's matching Peavey t-40? Or my, wait, I can't use those because the singer in my Julio Iglesias/ Black Sabbath tribute band doesn't like cabinets that are taller than he is.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No problem! You need the Marshal Micro-stack! At less than 1 foot, it is used by all the best Julio Iglesias/ Black Sabbath tribute bands! Goes well with the Heartbreaker bass, in black of course!

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While its "flat" tone is very full, and not sparkly (but still fairly detailed), I have found that the iAMP 800 is a tonal chameleon. Yes, it can take a bit of tinkering before you become really effective at utilizing its powerful EQ possibilities, but once you do, the sky is the limit. I am sure that it would power a 4 ohm HT322 just fine. It does well with my 4 ohm Whappo, Jr. Personally, I think that the iAMP 800 is going to end up as a true classic, and a landmark product for EA. Sure, there seem to be a number of players who just don't click with the iAMP, and I must admit that early on, I was not getting the best results out of mine. But once I took the time to get to know it, I am thoroughly impressed. It will drive anything. I have used it with four 8 ohm cabs, and it doesn't even break a sweat. The feature set is very good as well. And of course, EA customer service it top notch.

Tom.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"