Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iamp 200 combo - anyone have a review?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AJClone, Oct 3, 2003.

1. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    Was just wondering if anyone had spent any time running the iamp 200 combo through its paces. I know it has been in short supply but any info would be nice.

Thanks

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I just played the 200 wizzy combo with the 112 powered extension at Bassquake. Being used to the quickness and power of my iamp800 and Cxl 112 I was a bit wary that a) the amp would be underpowered and b) that the warmer sound of the whizzer cone speaker would not give me the definition that I was looking for. Once again, I was wrong. The amp had plenty of power. I easily dialed in the sound that I was looking for. It performed wonderfully.

I am not much on the "vintage" tone that some amps/cabs get. I much prefer a real hi-fi, hi defintion sound. As someone said on another thread the wizzy cabs get the warm, vintage tone but also present that clear, well defined mids and high's.

The addition of the Powered Extension was wonderful. it really added a great deal of flexibility

Mike

Disclaimer: I am an EA shill. I was honest in my impressions, but you know, opinions are like ......, everyone has one.

Treena, as a resident of the SF/Bay area, we missed you at Bassquake

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Mike
    Can you describe the difference in sound between the CXL-112 and the wizzy cabs? thanks

4. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    Thanks for the replies. Anyone else messed with this combo? The 800 combo is really tempting but I just don't need that kind of power right now.

5. I purchased a new EA 200 Combo from Dave at Club Bass (Toronto, Canada) late December. I bought it to replace an Eden CXC400-210 Combo.

The amp is amazing. It is no bigger or heavier than a typical practice amp but the tone (and volume) are amazing. I have gigged with it several times in small clubs (three/four piece blues/R&B band) and it had plenty of "umph" (looked kind of odd though being so small). Only once in a medium sized room did I use the DI to the PA. I probably didn't need to but I was still trying figure how hard to "push it".

The EA is capable of probably the same "SPL" as my Eden was but has significantly more definition top to bottom. The Eden could get muddy if pushed too hard. The preamp is typical EA fare. The built-in Sabine Tuner is handy and works very well. The push buttons feel a little flimsy but work OK. I found I had to run more gain in the preamp than with the Eden. According to Dave, EA did this to ensure adequate headroom with 18V powered basses and preamps. The build quality is very good. The "coated" cabinet is a big improvement over carpet. I purchased the optional slip cover (well made) just to keeping it looking good.

I seriously entertained buying a second powered cabinet but instead opted for an iAPM500 and CXL-112. My reasoning was the 200 Combo with a second cabinet would probably be more than I really need powerwise, mean two trips to the car and ultimately cost more. The iAMP500 and CXL-112 is a little more musclular than the 200 Combo and should cover anything I need to do. Dave treated me very well on the upgrade and in the end saved me a few dollars.

I would highly recommend the EA 200 Combo and would probably still have it if Dave hadn't made it so "easy".

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Split the difference and go for the iAmp 500?

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The British Magazine - Bass Guitar Magazine just reviewed the Wizzy Combo - it was a total rave.

Bassics Magazine will be reviewing it in the next issue -fingers are crossed

Mike

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    BTW, I'll be gigging all w/e with my iAMP 500 coupled with the Wizzy 112 cabinet. I'll report back on Monday

Mike