Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iamp 200 combo questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AJClone, May 21, 2003.

1. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    Does anyone have any info about the iamp 200 whizzy combo - other than what's on their website? I've been told this will be out the end of this month but other than that...no feedback. I'd love to know how it compares with the 350 combo in sound. It's much lighter so that would be a big plus.

Thanks,AJ

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Kind of hard to tell you anything til it comes out. I have tried the Wizzy 12 cab and I own a iAmp 350 combo along with a couple of CXL110 cabs. I compared the Wizzy using a Walter Woods side by side to the CXL110 with the same amp. I thought the Wizzy sounded weak compared to the CXL's. Yes, the Wizzy is lighter and cheaper, but the sound quality I get from the CXL is killer. The iAmp combo is also awesome considering its size especially when using the extension cab.

Note that I'm using the older CXL's and not the new light version, they sound different.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's obviously designed down to a price as far as the speaker goes. It's also only about half the wattage of the 350 so I would expect it to be more limited in terms of max volume.

This is the #1 issue with combos. Want it small and light? Well, it's not going to get real loud.

As it's not cheap, it isn't going to be a good choice if you need high stage volumes.

4. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    I would be careful about drawing any negative conclusions or comparisons about the 200 right now. Leeland Sklar has had one of the 200 proto's in the field for a few months now, and he says it is the best amp he ever played. Don't discount the new Wizzy speaker and the new 200 watt Class D amp. Expect nearly the performance of an iAmp800 and a CXL112 in a much smaller and lighter package, just at a lower maximum volume. Plus, you always have the option to add the Wizzy powered speaker if you need more volume and presence.

Gary, EA, Inc.

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    EAGary
    How does the Wizzy extension speaker do with higher wattage amplifiers? Will it take the output of an Iamp 800 (assuming that you don't go too crazy with boosted bass or excess volume)?

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've owned just about everything else ya'll have built and I'm sure I'll own one of these when it comes out along with an extension cab I'm sure. Can't wait!

7. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    The iAmp800 will drive a single Wizzy 12 to distortion and then eventually to destruction if you choose to do so. Hopefully, the player will hear the distortion and back it off. The Wizzy will not get as loud as a single CXL112 before distortion, but it's close. Plus, I think it actually sounds a little smoother than the CXL.

Keep in mind that the Wizzy is not a replacement for the 112. Powering two Wizzy's with the 800 is a more appropriate application if you need the volume.

Gary, EA, Inc.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Any idea on the price for the Whizzy Combo?

Alex

9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I believe list is $1495.

10. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ouch!

Alex

11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Yeah, I know. It originally was going to believe $1295(I think), but the relaese price was higher I heard due to manufacturing costs. The powered extension cab I think is $1095.

12. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That's much more reasonable - I wonder if you can plug an active bass straight into the extension cab if you get a suitable lead?

Alex

13. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    The Wizzy Powered Extension Cabinet is designed to be driven with a balanced line level input signal using a common XLR connector. Devices such as the Line6 Bass Pod work great with it.

If your bass has a large enough output signal, you can drive it to full power, but you would have to come up with an adapter cable. I would suspect that some of the active basses with hot preamps would drive it nicely. The amp will go to maximum power with about a 1.5VRMS signal. It has about a 10K input impedance.

Gary, EA, Inc.

14. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    I've seen prices all over the map for this combo amp. I have a hard time understanding why it would list for the same as the iamp 350 combo was when it has a lesser speaker setup and much less power. Is the list truly 1495?

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    A question for EAGary - since there is presumably an out for the extra speaker, would it be feasible to run another power amp using this out?

At the moment I'm considering either this combo or the upcoming iAmp800 combo. It would be as a main amp, combined with another cab for bigger gigs.

Is this what this combo was designed for - or is it more for smaller applications? If you combined the Wizzy combo with the powered cab, would that be enough to cover a big room?

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    bump

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    At 9:53 am EST, the new EA website went live. It is a lot more informative. Although still a great deal to be entered, there is a lot of good info

www.euphonicaudio.com

Mike Dimin

18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Mike!

Just wondering, have you tried the iAmp200 combo? If so, how does it compare to the iAmp800/CXL112 rig?

Thanks in advance :)

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I've only tried it at the NAMM show - not a great place to judge anything. One of my students just picked up the Wizzy combo (actually the same one I played at NAMM). We are going to go through it at our lesson on Sat. - I'll report back

Mike

20. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    A question for EAGary - since there is presumably an out for the extra speaker, would it be feasible to run another power amp using this out?

At the moment I'm considering either this combo or the upcoming iAmp800 combo. It would be as a main amp, combined with another cab for bigger gigs.

Is this what this combo was designed for - or is it more for smaller applications? If you combined the Wizzy combo with the powered cab, would that be enough to cover a big room?

Hello Adam:

The iAmp200 has a balanced and unbalanced line out on the front panel so it can be hooked up to any external amplifier. It also has another "Link Out" on the back panel designed to drive the Wizzy powered cabinet, or any other unbalanced line level input. It also has a "Link In" unbalanced connector on the back panel which will accept an outboard preamp signal if so desired.

The Wizzy combo coupled with the powered Wizzy cabinet gets very loud and will cover most gigs. The 800 will get louder given the same circumstances, but you would need to carry separate speaker cabinets to make it worth your while. The Wizzy series was designed to achieve portability and serious SPL while maintaining a high quality audio signal. And, the building block approach allows you to bring whatever gear you need for a particular gig.

Gary Gibilisco, EA, Inc