Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iAMP 350...yowza!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacochops, Mar 23, 2005.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I have been using my iAMP 350 combo (1X10) with an SWR 4X8 cab...wow!! The punchiest fingerstyle sound I've been able to achieve since my WW Ultra. Cuts like a mutha, and plenty o' juice. We have a good sound man; he has been running me through the house, and really hasn't needed to add me into the mix much, due to the stage volume and tone.

Yeah, it's a combo...I know. But with a second cab, it gets the job done. If I could find an EA 350 head, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and leave the combo home. It's a heavy little rascal!

BTW, I bought an Eden WT330 for this application; however, this amp sounds so good, I might be looking to trade it for an iAMP. The Eden gets here tomorrow. We shall see.....

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    You can't beat the 350. I use mine with two Aguilar 112's.

I think basscentral still has a 350 head if you want a new one. They occasionally come up used but not often. If I had the cash I'd sell mine and get an iAmp800 with a wizzy or two :)

3. The minute I played through my 350/210CXL set-up, I went home and sold my Eden rig (navigator/power amp/210XLT) as fast as I could. I would like to pair it with a 112.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've been actually on the hunt for a little iAMP350 combo. how long have you had it?

5. Hey, can't you just remove the four screws at the top of the cab and take the amp out?

6. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China

I've had it about 2-3 weeks. I am really quite pleased with it! I traded a Schroeder 1210 for it, and I feel I made the right call. The Scroeder was nice, but not the live tone I was looking for.

Funky,
    You're right...the head is removable, but that's a PITA.....

7. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    joker - i think you're looking for the amp, but bass northwest has the cxl112 cabinet sans head on their site...

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club Bass in Canada has a used 350 for sale.

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    And even better, getting an IAmp350 from Canada would actually net you an IAmp425.322 (Crazy canucks and their wacky exchange rates).

You guys both need a Focus. FYI, a Canadian Focus would be 729.153 watts into 4ohms.

- I am not affiliated with Acoustic Image
    - I am not affiliated with the Canadian government (yet)
    - I have not been drinking (yet)
    - Matt, it's 45 degrees here and overcast today FYI.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    As I recall, the iAMP 350 Combo is paired up with basically a CxL-110 cab. Not to knock that particular cab, but I prefer the CxL-112 to the 110, and the Wizzy to them both, so my vote for the most killer iAMP Combo would be the 500 Combo, which uses the iAMP 500 head with the Wizzy cab!

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

You know Will, I'd probably get a Focus or just the power amp version if it weren't a class D amp. I'm not a fan of the class D power supplies. When put next to a traditional power supply the difference is obvious. The drawback of coarse being the weight.

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You know, I used to say that about Class D amps. I had it in my head that Class D meant thick without enough sparkle. However, my ear has kind of adjusted to the sound and now I love that dark, thick, clear sound...and the Focus has great highs with the Bergs. 4lbs is nice too.

Of course, it really earns its keep at the upright gigs.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

:confused: Class D refers to the power amp section, not the power supply. Take a look here (section 5.8): http://www.talkbass.com/ampfaq/

A Class D amp can have any sort of power supply topology. Some have big heavy 60Hz transformers, like the Crown K2 and the iAmp. Some have switch mode supplies, which is maybe what you don't like? IMHO, it's all in the implementation, not in the general type. YYMV, of course.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This is really great information. Thanks so much. I need to be more carefull with my terminology as well.

15. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I have an iamp 350/Wizzy combo and it smokes! Just wish I could run an EUB and EB at the same time (like with a Clarus) but the inputs don't allow it. Killer tone though!

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Mark,
    I just picked up the Radial Bassbone for just that purpose. Additionally, it is great if you are going directly into the PA.

Mike

17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Get a raven labs mdb-1 3 inputs ,3 volumes, sidechain effects loop, DI, clear as bell, size of two boss pedals. Adds no color!

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
  19. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Thanks Mike...I've tried the Bassbone in the past and wasn't that impressed with it, esp for the EUB...may try it again though. Thanks, Marc

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1