EA iamp 350 ....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tyburn, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Hey..

Looking for some advice.. Currently playing through and EA iamp 350 combo (with the 1x10) and i'm looking to add a cab in order to get this up to gigging volume.

I'm looking for suggestions as to how to spend my money... do i go down the EA 1x12 road.. keeping it EA all the way.... or do i look to try an alternative 1x12 or marry up a 2x10 (giving 3 10 inch speaker) ? Alternatively.. theres the bag end 15"...

It would be nice if anyone has any advice for me... currently playing a Yamaha TRB6 and a Lakland 55-01 with the nice pre... Need to get decent stage volume... Venue Pa does the rest in the mix, without resorting to replacing the EA as i love it. Currently playing in a metal band... yeah i know.. EA and metal lol( i'm a jazzer at heart).

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON

The EA NL210 is a great cabinet. Of course I like all the EA cabs but the 210 is one of my first choices when gigging. I'm sure the good folks at Overwater, who you know, will let you try out any number of EA combinations. It would be great to live in the same town as Ovwerwater. I think Chris May would get tired of me dropping by. :)
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had two cxl-110s and did not feel I got a good stage volume with 350w into 4ohms. I tried the cxl112, it was better, but then I realized I didn't like the CXL sound. I heard the older VL series and bought the CXL on based on that sound.

I believe at least one 112 is necessary for minimum stage volume AND I only play at my church!

if you are going to play the two cabs together with a mono head you should either use the exact same speaker or at least make sure speaker sensitivities are close 1-2 db or less difference
  4. I have the iAmp 350 and both the CXL-112 and the CXL-110. The amp works great with each and both of the cabs - I think I'd keep with the same brand for everything - but it depends on how much $$ you're prepared to spend, and also what's available. Wasn't someone selling a CXL-112 here recently¬Ö

- Wil
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm with Steve on recommending the NL-210. It seems more happy to perform with less than crazy amounts of headroom, and it sound fantabulistic! :D

6. Thanks for the replies....

I'm very much in favour of keep ing my rig all EA and the 112 is very much on my list. I've Owned EA since 2001 and love it's uncoloured sound and compact sizing.

Granted it is a mono head, and it doesn't push a lot of watts into it's mininture enclosures, but I clearly remember at the time of purchase that i didn't want to have to carry a uneconomically efficient 4x10 around and a hefty head in order to satisfy 'rock staus'. I'm not some old guy oaning about my back.. hey i'm 23 and just love the EA.

I'm now just a bit worried about running the cabs too hard....

7. slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    My experience may not be directly related, but here goes:
    I've run an iAmp600 into both a CXL112 and a VL210.
    As mentioned, the VL and CXL are two different animals. I strongly suggest you A/B them before buying. I found the CXL to be much louder (yup, louder than a 2x10!) but much cleaner/sterile than the VL. If your 110 is a VL, you'll hardly notice it plugged in parallel with the CXL112.

Also, a tip for covering jazz and metal gigs with the EA rig - get a SansAmp BDDI. Go from Jaco to Lemmy with a tap of your foot. :bassist:
  8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i occasionally run my iamp 350 @ 2 ohms. it is perfectly safe, according the EA's tech guys. it doesn't draw any more power from teh amp itself, but having more speakers to throw air must make it louder.

i would addjust a 2x10 EA speaker cab.
  9. Cheers guys..

So... if i decide to get a CXL112 and it's 8 ohms, match this with the 110 at 8 ohms... i assum e this will give me an output of 350w @ 4 ohms....

In order to run this at 2 ohms do i add another cab ( 350w @ 2ohms).. so 3 8 ohm cabs???

10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I own both the CXL112 and the VL210 and have found just the opposite! I find the 210 MUCH louder, there's hardly a comparison! :confused:
  11. I believe if you run a 4 ohm 210 along with your combo, each driver will get equal power with total impedance 2.67 ohms.
  12. I'm with you now.. I'll probably end up running 2 8 ohm cabs @ 350 w (175 per cab... max power 350w) Just wondered if i'd be squeezing anymore out of the EA head if i got the load down to 2ohms.... in reality, if i'm correct i'd be driving 3 cabs with 116.66 per cab....

It would just be simpler to run a 2x10 or 2x12 if i wanted an extra speaker... would it make it any louder than running more watts into a 112 and 1x10?

13. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I emailed Gary at EA since I couldn't find anything about running a 350 at 2 ohm. Gary indicated that you wouldn't get any more output power running at 2 ohm. You wouldn't want to run the 350 at loud volumes for an extended time at 2 ohm. You could blow a fuse that would bring the amp down.

Also a couple of folks have mentioned the VL210. They are no longer produced but you might find a used one. The NL210 is what you would be testing now.

The CXL112 has been mentioned as well. Since you live in the same city as the UK importer for EA then trying the CXL and NL210 would be the best thing to do. Very different sounding cabinets.

EA did produce a 4 ohm NL210 for TBer jokerjkny. That may be something that could be arranged across the pond as well and you could run that on its own.

Just remember to take your 350 when testing the CXL and NL210. Otherwise you might have to test using an iAMP500 or 800 and you might have another dilemma to deal with. ;)
  14. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I was able to get my 350 to shut down with a 4 ohm load, I can't imagine it would handle 2 ohms very well. The head pulls out that cab pretty easily. Have you considered using just the head with a 4 ohm cab?
  15. To be honest i hadn't.... but my brother suggested the very same thing... If i could get hold of one of the accugroove cabs that may be an option.. or pull the head and run 2 8ohm .. non EA cabs.

16. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    You should be fine running your iAMP350 at 4 ohms.

I'm not sure why you would think an Accugroove would be a benefit vs. running an EA. :confused: Or how the Accugroove would prevent a shutdown and an EA would not.

Running a 350, or any amp, at a reasonable and moderate volume shold not pose a problem at 4 or 2 ohm.

Feel free to email the Gary at EA if you have any questions.

17. I assume he's considering efficiency... those older VL's were about as inefficient as they come (IMO)... it took a lot of watts to get them up to volume and tone IMO. I know the newer ones are much more efficient (at least the CXL vs. VL that I'm familiar with).
  18. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    True. If tyburn does go shopping the choices would be CXL112, NL210 and Wizzy unless the UK importer has some NOS EA.