ea iamp 350

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by heymrbassman, Jan 12, 2003.

1. I've just bought this EA iamp 350 and think it is really good. The only thing is the weight of the thing. I have to warn people before they attempt to carry it for me. I think it will be so versatile as I can take the amp section out and use it with bigger cabs if needed.

I have not got used to the eq yet and find that I cannot get an instant sound like I used to using an old peavey TKO115

Anyone else use these EA amps? I noticed a lot of people using the cabs but with the AI claris amp. Why not just get the combo?
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You can switch the EQ section in and out, as well as engage each of the presets. The sound is fine without the EQ section for most situations, you could preset the EQ to emulate whatever amp sound you want, and punch it in when wanted, if that's what you mean by "an instant sound."

The iAMP 350 combo is heavy, but not as heavy as the new iAMP 800 combo-- that's the 800 head + CXL-112 cabinet. I'll have photos and info up on my site, dunno if I'll have time to put it all up before leaving for NAMM.

I did some A/B comparisons of the Clarus and iAMP 350 head using EA CXL cabinets and was surprised at just how transparent the EA was-- in fact, I prefer it to the Clarus, though it is a lot heavier (and more powerful and versatile). No prejudice here- I sell and play both.
  3. Thanks for the advice. I feel a bit better now I know there are heavier amps out there!
    I think what I mean by an instant sound is when you get to a gig and can just turn on, adjust the bass eq and volume then play. I find the sound I get with the EA is a bit thin but with lots of bottom end.

I use a underwood type pickup by shadow without a preamp as this has always worked well with the peavey (I have not sold this yet just in case)

Do I need a preamp when using the EA amp or can I get the input modified?

I use the passive input as the active input has no volume at all in comparison. Also, i have not used the combo at a high volume yet but I am worried because I played through headphones the other day with the speaker turned off and the power stage was clipping like mad at about 12 oclock on each dial with no EQ.

Thanks again for the advice
  4. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    beautiful as those ea combos must sound, mr postman, a big reason i haven't considered buying one is cuz they're really frickin' heavy. i prefer a one-handed rig.

sean p
  5. Its not that bad!

Bass amps should be heavy anyway. Its only doublebass players who seem to love amps that can be carried in a shoulder bag.