EA iamp 500 vs. Epi 502

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    ANybody tried both of these? Which one did you prefer and why?
  2. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    Can't comment on the Epi amp as I have never heard it but have the iamp500 and have run it with a wizzy 112 cab and epi T112UL / T110UL rig, and man it has one of the best sounds I have ever heard. Especially thru the wizzy cab.

The amp definetely does not color your sound so it lets you hear exactly what your bass sounds like and IMO this is the best way to dial in the tone you want to hear which will be the tone the audience will hear. Also this is a good thing if you have a bass that sounds nice acoustically.

I play mainly back on the bridge with 80% bridge pickup with a Fender Jazz 4 and a Mallia Custom 5 string and I can get wicked punchy fingerstyle sounds out of both basses.

The iamp500 has plenty of head room and I have never had any volume issues , 50% of the time I do 500-600+ venues. The eq section is very versatile although you'll find a lot of the time running it flat will give you a great sound. One of my favourite settings is using the "Contour ll " preset.Seems to do the job nearly every time depending on the room. I play all styles of music and this amp seems to handle all styles without any problem.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    when set flat, the epifani has a bit of a more open sound. but i like the flexibility of the iAMP tone stack. waaay more versatile for me. also, being able to change on the fly with two channels is a terrific little option to have ala the epifani. do what i did, and get both. :p
  4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Jae, Wish I could...don't know how you guys afford all this stuff!
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

trust me, my quality of life would be waaaaaaay higher if i wasnt splurging on all this gear. :p

btw, i did a mini shootout w/ a TF, my Epi 502, and my iAMP800.

when set flat and using only the controls on my MTD & Sadowsky's, i found the Epi to have a sort of gloss top end. the iAMP sounded airy and more open. while TF was more midrangey and "voiced".

also, the iAMP again, was the flexibility king, while the TF was super easy to tweak w/ just the "timbre" knob. the Epi, again, ruled in being able to go from one channel to another. as for ease of use, its in btwn the TF "one knob" senario and the iAMP's crazy flexi-ness.

but again, if you've got Epifani cabs, there's only one choice: UL502. they complement each other in ways the heads can not.
  6. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    The Epi 502UL really pumps out the thump with my 410UL. I mean, a 600 w amp into a 1000 w cab and there's still plenty of head room.
    The switchable channels are nice, nothing new, but very convenient and also with the mid-cut switch in ch 1 via foot pedal, is great to go from finger to slap.
    The 502UL has the back bone I like to hear, when not carrying around my Crown MT 1200.