Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iamp 600 vs. Digital amp + pre???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Mar 29, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Once again, thanks in advance for all your help...

Still working on getting this :spit: small rig together... unfortunately, I can't try any of the stuff I'm talking about out before I buy it...

Looking for a clean 2-space portable rig to drive my EA Cxl-110, and possibly a second one later on.

Ideally the rig would function as an amp for my 7-string electric as well. Basically I'm looking for something that's flat, but versatile.

Option 1: EA iamp 600

Option 2: Either a Peavey DPC or Stewart World 1-space amp, combined with a $350-ish 1-space preamp (Alembic FX-1, maybe Demeter if I can get lucky)

Wild Card: Stewart PA-100b -- 200W enough for medium sized gigs??? The ultimate motorcycle-friendly rig!

Other? Budget is about $650

2. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    bump... anyone?

I'm even thinking about a GK MB150 now... I could fit that in a backpack on my motorcycle! I need to just buy something and get it over with.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've been very satisfied with the iamp600 when driving a single Bergantino HT112. Clean with plenty of eq options and a built-in tuner. Not horribly heavy, either although certainly not as light as some other solutions.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yeah, and it's called a car ;)

5. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA

... bunch of wise-asses on this forum... :spit:

:D

My bike cost $1400. I pay $150 in insurance. Per year. I park anywhere, and can get through rush hour in half the time. Almost ANY rig that will fit on it, regardless of the price, will be CHEAP compared to buying a car!

P.S. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a $350 mint MB150 with gigbag. Somebody convince me not to do it!

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
  7. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    well you're gonna have to try harder than that...:rolleyes:

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Budget: $650???!!!!

Answer: maybe impossible...have you got a line on an iAmp 600 used for $650? The newer 800 lists for $1500 (so you might get lucky to get one new for about $1000).

The pre/power solution is going to be over $650, too unless you get REAL lucky in the used market.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, an iamp600 for $650 used would be a real bargain. They're usually in the $750 to $850 range. I sold one a year and a half ago for $800.

10. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Iamp 600 is a good choice. There's one on Bassgear.com right now for about $675 I think. I run one of these with 2 CXL-110's as my LOUD rig.

The GK combo is a standard unit for many players, but I really dislike it. I find the sound boxy and compressed. Also the speaker doesn't have any real high end. Just IMHO of course.