Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iamp 800 + Bergantino HT210 = Silence

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Mar 18, 2004.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just got my iamp 5 minutes ago and hooked it up to my bergie and I'm not getting any sound. I can hear the bass fine from the phones output.

I'm guessing not getting any sound becuase of the speakon cable i'm using. I'm using the speakon cable that came with my GK 1001rb. Would I need to rewire wire this cable to make it work correctly? How would I do that?
    Thanks

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not to note the obvious, but did you flick on the "speaker on" switch?

could be a fuse, too.

3. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't see no speaker on switch, do you mean the power switch. THe fuse looks fine also.
    I seem to remember reading that the GK Speakon cables are wired a little different for the use of there biamping stuff.

4. Try using a 1/4" cable. If that works, it could be the speakon cable wiring. Open up the speakon plugs and see what pins the wires are connected to.

5. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    on my iamp 800, the speaker on switch is right above the bright contour button, underneath the slider for the high frequency parametric eq. Funny place, it should have been put in the "outputs" section.

6. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Oh that speaker on switch. That helps alot.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    For sure check the speaker on switch is set to "on."

iAMP's don't come with 1/4" speaker outs so that is not an option. I think that the problem is more that your speaker cable might be wired for bridging with your GK. Disassemble the amp end ofthe cable. It should unscrew easily with a little bit of elbow grease. If it is wired to the slots +1, + 2 it is set to bridging and the output will either be in half or nonexistant. Simply unscrew the little screw holding the wire into +2 and move it over to the -1 slot. Tighten the small screw on the wire and then hook up the rest of the speakon adaptor. That should do it for you... ;)

EDIT: Or if you are keeping the GK, buy a standard wired speakon to speakon.

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I am feeling so underappreciated - here I go and write a manual that nobody reads :crying:

Congratulations and best of luck with the iAMP - check out the EA web site, there is a good tutorial on using the tone shaping section.

Mike

9. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Manual, I don't need no stinkin manual? I'd rather be lazy and create a post letting people know how stupid I am for not noticing the speaker switch.

It also helped when i disconected the +2 -2 wires on the speakon cable

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Ata boy

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Read a manual -next thing you know, he'll be asking for directions. What IS this world coming to

Mike

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I read a manual once. And it worked. So I read another and damn if it didn't work again. Now I'm hooked.

Is there some 12 step program to get me back to my old self???

Oh wait you have to follow direction there too. :help:

13. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Let us know how the HT-210 fares with the Iamp 800...I've been curious about this setup, seems like it would rock.

Congrats on your rig.

-A

16. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ditto!

17. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just got back from a rehearsal and was able to test my new amp. So far so good. It's a totally different animal than my GK100rb. It has a pretty mellow tone and its pretty smooth. The extra watts I get from this amp gives me a bigger sound than I had with the 1001rb. It doesn't have the same punch or quickness that the 100rb, it almost feels like a tube head in that aspect.
    I have a salsa gig tomorrow night so I can test it out some more.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if that be the case, the definitely fiddle with the "low-mids" portion of the EQ, and add a good deal of 40 hz low end. very easy to dial up a punchie sound.

19. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Mike, I read your manual. Nice job.

I read it online long before I bought the amp. Now I have a REAL hard copy that came with the amp.

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Mike, are you writing or helping with, the iAMP 500 manual? While the 800 manual is generally good for the 500, the section on setting the gain is useless. It basically says "adjust the level until all 5 leds light". For the 500, it will need a bit more detail since there are no leds.

Other than that, I found the manual very useful. Good job :)

On another note, Dave at Club Bass mentions that the 800 is dropping the tuner. Any ideas why it was dropped?