EA iAmp 800 combo. How loud?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 16, 2005.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How big gigs can this little combo manage? We always have PA support but we have 3 guitarists, a keyboard player and a drummer. We play Bruce Springsteen and Wilco inspired music. Will this combo be enough for a 4-string alone?

Also, what is your thought about uing a HiFi combo with vintage sounding basses? My best sound was with vintage Fenders through Glockenklang and EBS rigs.
    I also have a Tubeworks Blue Tube pedal to ad some grit if I need it.
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im more conserned about only having one 12". I will probably ad more cabs in the future. But it would be great to roll in this compact combo on a gig to use as bass monitoring without anything else.
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

Send a PM to Bikeplate. He traded in a big rig for an 800 combo
  4. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I always use two cxl12's for gigs....just so I have extra overhead and don't tax the speaker...sounds big and Phat!
  5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've played a couple shows with two guitar players and drummer with my Iamp800 and one CXL112 and no PA support. They were smaller venues with small crowds and it was no sweat. I could easily hear myself on stage, the band could here me fine and I projected out into the room without a problem.
    For bigger shows in bigger clubs, I use two CXLs. Two is easily more than I need, but I really like having those two little beasts behind me. Kind of a "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" thing.

With PA support and if your intent is to use it as a personal monitor, I think you should be fine for just about any show short of big venues.

Can't say much about the vintage instruments, I'm a modern tone kind of player but I think EA equipment excells at allowing you to sound however you want. Just use the fantastic EQ section and dial in whatever you like!
    Good luck!
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is great to hear. Has anyone tried one with an extension cab (1x12") from another manufacturer (Epifani, Aguilar, Berg etc)?
  7. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Please tell me anything about this combo as I need something to contain my GAS. I will probably get this combo sometime between Christmas and new year. :hyper:
  8. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    IMO this combo sounds good, but it`s not loud, especially if you try to get some bottom out of it.
  9. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thats not what I wanted to hear. ;)

Now I use a really loud 100W 1x15" Yamaha combo and I can keep up without any problems. But that combo weighs a ton and is really bulky.
  10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

This is from Rob DeSantis aka Bikeplate. He gigs, full time, with the EA 800 combo. The combo is plenty loud enough - as long as you remember it is a 1x12 not a 4x10
  11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The cxl-112 cabinet will handle small to smallish-medium shows fine. I used mine for a smallish show (perhaps 100 to 125 people) last Saturday with no FOH support. No trouble keeping up with one electric guitar, one acoustic (in a couple 12" monitors), keys, vox, drums, etc. We were not diming the volume knobs however. The cxl-112 is very responsive to eq'ing a mid bump (more so than any other cab I've owned) to cut through.

note: I was not using an iamp for my head though. I was using a TFB-550.
  12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I have played the iAMP 800 with 2 NL 210's against 2 guitarists, keyboard, drummer and 2 vocalists outdoors without PA support. No problem. Though I haven't used the combo, you still have the flexiblity to add extra cabs for more output. The iAMP 800 is rated into a 2 Ohm load, so you should be able to add a couple of additional cabs without problem.
  13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have, and the CXL would match well with the Aguilar in terms of speaker sensitivity/efficiency. The Epifanis and Bergs are not as efficient as the CxL112, so they won't have as much volume. On the other hand, if you have a stereo power amp that you can use to feed a discreet signal to each cab, it's easier to compensate.
  14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    What Yamaha combo is it so that we can compare apples to oranges a little bit?

An iAMP800 and a single CXL is a great rig. With another cabinet it's more than enough. Heck, if an NL210 and CXL112 is enough for Lee Sklar on a concert stage with Phil Collins or Lyle Lovett then I think it can fit most of our needs.
  15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Personally, I prefer the sound of the iAmp800 connected to a NL210 than a CxL112. The NL210 is not that much bigger, and very similar in weight to a CxL112.
  16. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    NL210 is what I always reach for first. And I do like the same combo as you hence my mention of Mr Sklar's rig. Either that or the Wizzy if I want to go light. I'm inherently lazy so EA size and weight is ideal for me. :smug:
  17. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    If you have a 100 W 1x15" there is no question that the iAMP/CXL112 combo will be loud enough.

One of the characteristics of the CXL is that it goes down very low, much lower than most traditional speakers. At the same time it does not have the characteristic "hump" that make many other cabinets sound so full and make a mess out of every stage sound. The very low sound causes a large cone movement that limits the maximum volume.

But since you are comparing it to a 100W 15" there is no question: The iAMP combo will blow that one away.

When volume becomes an issue I found using one of the mid-cut presets and to lower the bass at 40 Hz by about 6 dB helps. The speaker then gets earpiercing loud and still sounds very good.

Hope it helps.

18. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The Yamaha is a really old combo. I think it´s called B100. Looks really oldschool and the sound is really loud because I guess the sound is not the cleanest and the speaker (1x15") is really efficient. Also the lowest lows are probably not present at all, but the low mids have a big hump.

But I have no dought that the EA will cover most of my needs at least until I can afford an extension cab.

Would it be a good idea to get a compressor pedal to save the speaker in the EA combo?
  19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have the little brother, the iAMP 500 combo. I play small country gigs (50-100 people) with 2 or 3 guitars, keys, and a drummer with just the combo no problems.

I used the iAMP 500 (non-combo), CXL-112 and an LDS 12/6. The CXL-112 dominated but the LDS added some vintage vibe. I used this setup for a small, but spread out, outdoor gig of about 200 people. The one of the guitar players played the bass for a couple of songs and it was cutting through just fine.

Final thoughts:

I love having the combo. Like I mentioned, for many small gigs I just carry the combo. Everything in one package. However, I much prefer the wizzy over the CXL-112.

Don't get me wrong, the CXL is a great cab. It is very efficient. It has great lows and a huge frequency range. If (when :D ) you get the combo, use the line in to play CDs through it. They sound great. The iAMP/CXL are designed to also work as keyboard systems so they have to have a complete frequency range.

However the wizzy has more of a vintage vibe that I love. And people perceive the wizzy as being deeper although if you A/B them the CXL wins the low end contest.

I think I prefer, very slightly, the iAMP 500/CXL/LDS combination, but I would rather carry the iAMP 500C with an extra wizzy if needed.
  20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, I recently did a 2x10 shootout, and I was amazed at how similar, overall, the Glockenklang Duo Wedge, EN NL-210 and Bergantino HT210 sounded. These are all killer cabs. As mentioned by others, I also prefer the NL-210 (or Wizzy) to the CxL-112 as a stand alone, but if you got the iAMP 800 Combo and added an NL-210 that would be one killer rig. If I were to buy an iAMP 800 head and pick two EA cabs to pair up, I'd either go two NL-210's, NL-210/CxL-112 or two Wizzy's. Any of these combinations would be plenty loud for even a very loud stage (with PA support).

Hope this helps, Tom.