Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iAmp 800 speaker loading question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Granted this is a pretty basic question, but I can't find the answer anywhere. Will an iAmp 800, with its 2 speakon connectors wired +1/-1, run 2 8-ohm cabinets in series at 16 ohms (not what I'm hoping for, and generally a bad thing in my book), or are the connectors parallel, causing the total load to be 4-ohms. I guess what's throwing me is the +1/-1 bit. I don't really understand what that means. In short: iAmp 800-speaker outputs series or parallel?

2. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I believe Parallel...

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Correct.

Series wiring of the speaker jacks is extremely uncommon in solid state amps; in fact I can't recall ever seeing it done that way in one.

Cap'n: take a look at the Neutrik website to learn about how Speakon terminals are typically wired. 1+ and 1- at both ends is the standard Speakon cable configuration for a single channel (not biamped or bridged) mono amp. There's no downside that I'm aware of.