Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iamp 800 vs Eden WT 800 and what cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tubster, Sep 29, 2003.

1. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Have the Eden and am tempted to dump it for an EA. Has anyone got any experience in comparing the two?

Current cab is Eden 410xlt and future thoughts are the iamp with EA CX-112 plus a Bergantino 115. EA covers rehearsals and the Berg comes out for gigs Play Classic Rock, Soul, RnB, Blues. Looking for warmth, roundness, lows and clarity -no interest in popping or slapping.

I might be way off in my thinking here but I do like the idea of the 12 with the 15 and the modularity of the rig.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeez, I played my WT-800 bridged into just my D-410XLT last Saturday night, and our new lead guitarist was freaking on the tone (in fact, so was I, a bit). I've been playing small to medium bar gigs going direct to the board, and had lost touch with just how bitchen this simple rig is. I have everything set flat, with enhance at about 9:00 p.m., and there's my tone. I was playing my 55-94 through it half the time and my Yamahama TRB5-PII the rest of the time. It just ruled all night. I vote no on iAmp.

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I'm bitchen with the EA iAMP 800 into two Epifani 112's. The sound guy and whole band preferred the sound hands down to the Aguilar 359/112/112 rig I normally play!

Tight and flexible. (Don't go there)

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    man, where are you guys finding non-bassplayers that comment on your tone. most people only tell me something if im too loud:D

5. Same here (with my WT600 and SWR Goliath III). Nice to have a rig that doesn't need to be 'tweaked just right' to sound good. :cool: :cool:

BTW - 1x12 and 1x15 isn't going to move air like 4x10's will. If your band plays loud onstage, you may want to consider this.

6. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Thanks for the comments. So far it's 1-1 Eden and Iamp!

Thanks guys for the comments

I also have the 800 bridged into the xlt and yes, our band can play loud so....maybe the 40 inches against the 27 inches has something going for it. The Eden set-up is a bit "brash" at volume.

Thinking back over rigs from the 70's (Orange 120, Marshall 50 with alu logo, Dynacord, AC-30 bass combo) I used them all (not the AC-30) with 15's or 18's and that just seemed to be much more of the sound I like. Probably just senility setting in!

On another note - I have the chance to try a Mesa 400+ (if I can lift it!)plus 1x15 and 2x10 cab at rehearsal on Thursday and compare directly to the Eden. Might be interesting. The EA/Berg combo I can probably try the following week.

Choices, choices....

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    One more vote for the WT-800. I had the iAmp 800 and never could get the sound I wanted from it, drove me crazy.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    One thing i've learned after playing so many amps, is that if you don't know what sound you want, you'll never get a sound you like from the iAMP 800. That's not true with most amps.

That's not a diss on the eden or a praise for the iAMP. And not to say that I actually know what sound I want either! :D

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's one more vote for Eden. And one for Arnold, too.

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Do you like the sound of your 410XLT now?

11. I have to agree. It just so happens that my Dingwall flat through an iAmp flat is just the tone I am after. It took me buying SWR, Eden and trying out a ton of gear to find that out.

Geoff

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd vote iAMP 800. For cabs, from what you describe:
    I's say that you should definitely look into the EA Wizzy cabs. They somehow manage to combine vintage warmth with modern clarity and precision. It is really an impressive cab, especially in its price range. Of course, being fairly uncolored and having a good deal of tone tweaking options, the iAMP 800 should sound killer with just about any cabs.

Tom.

13. Another one here using 800 bridged into a 410XLT - I no longer have GAS for amps and cabs, only basses.