1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EA iAMP Micro 300 for DB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by luis hernadez, Mar 12, 2008.

1. luis hernadez

luis hernadez

Mar 10, 2008
    Hello, I am a double bass player from Spain. My DB is a good professional one, I work with the Realist and AI Contra, but I find the sound of the AI not "deep" enough ("deep"= round, low bass tone) . My question is: Is the Micro 300 "deeper" than the AI Contra? Thanks

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    The AI Contra is an integrated unit or combo amp - amp and speakers all in one. But the EA Micro is just an amp. How it sounds will probably vary depending on what speaker cabinet it is connected to. So I don't really know how to compare them.

FWIW, I owned a Series I Contra for about 7 years, and I thought it had HUGE low end for something that size. I often turned down the Bass EQ knob. So I am wondering if something else is wrong.

What kind of pickup are you using? It might warrant some adjustments in terms of fit.

Are the EQ knobs set flat (12:00)?

If it is a Series II or Series III, is the high pass filter / notch filter turned off?

Do you have any other basses you could try thru the Contra, even an electric bass guitar?

3. luis hernadez

luis hernadez

Mar 10, 2008
    Hello Bolo,
    Thanks for your message.
    I own a Glockenklang cab (1X12").Whe I connect the cab to the AI Contra SIII, the tone improves a lot and also the amp power.
    The matter would be: AI Contra SIII+Glockenklang versus EA Micro+Glockenklang.
    Thanks one more time.

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Unfortunately I can't make a direct comparison with the items you listed.

But I do have experience with an iAMP 200 from EA, the Series I AI Contra, and the Series III Focus 2R.

As a very broad generalization, the EA iAMP 200 sounds a little more hyped and lively thru the mids and treble to me. It may not be perfectly natural or perfectly flat, but it sounds good on a gig. The AI's sound is probably more "natural" and subdued when listening to the DB solo'ed. It still sounds great to me in a group setting, but just a little less forward than the EA.

But to your original question - I think the low register sounds kind of similar from both heads. I would actually describe the AI as having a bigger, fuller bottom, while the EA sound strikes me as tight, accurate, and controlled.

Just my two cents. I could be all wet. Wish I had a Glock cab to test with. :)

5. luis hernadez

luis hernadez

Mar 10, 2008
    Hello Bolo,
    Thanks a lot for your message. It seems me that you are right when you describe the sound of AI and the sound of EA Micro.
    Not one of the two heads make a substantial difference respect to the other one. Maybe the amp I need is the WW.
    Thanks Bolo.