1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EA iamp350 query

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Balaclava Lewis, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Hello one and all.
    Just a quick question is anyone has a chance to help me out.

I recently bought a second hand iamp350 and was using it last night in a fairly loud rock setting. I am running a sansamp BDDI through it and getting a great punchy sound, my only concern is that the "clip" light keeps flashing up. Am i driving it too hard? Is there any way around it? Or is this nothing to worry about?
    Any help/ comments very much appreciated.
    Thanks very much.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Should be easy to 'fix'.

If the light coming on is the 'first stage clip light', to the left of the amp when facing it, that means your preamp is overdriving the gain stage of the amp... so, you should turn your preamp (BDDI) down prior to sending it to your amp, or turn the gain of the iAmp down a little. The optimal setting is for that light to come on only occasionally, when you are playing your loudest, lowest note. Also, since you are feeding a preamp into another preamp, you should use the 'active' input, which will pad down that rather hot signal for you.

If, on the other had, the 'power clip' light is coming on to the right of the amp, you are just driving the amp a little too hard. It's not a problem if that clip light comes on every once in a while when you are really digging into the lower notes on your E string. However, if it comes on and stays on, you need to either turn your master down on the 350 a little, or lower the bass frequencies a little by either using the iamp bass control or the BDDI EQ. If you have the 'deep' preset engaged, you might want to try turning that off, since it's the lowest notes and lowest frequencies that really use up the power.

Hope that makes sense.

If you go on the EA website and click on manuals, you can print out the Iamp350 manual. It's very good at describing all of this and giving you suggested settings, etc.

Ken

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

4. Hey,
    Cheers for taking the time to help me out. Its much appreciated. Off to practise again today, so ill see how i get on.