Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iAMP800 concern

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kirk P Brosius, Mar 8, 2005.

1. I've had my iAMP800 & Schroder 1210 rig for about four weeks and six gigs with my acoustic trio with very good results.
    My concern is this: I use the "speaker off" switch, during breaks, so that I can unplug my bass and put it on it"s stand and when I pull the cable out of the jack, the output level light spikes! The guys at EA tell me that this is not an issue as long as the speaker is connected.
    Have any of you iAMP800 users ever had issues with this?
    Thanks for any input.

2. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    cant say i have.
    but then again, i also turn the level right down to zero when i change basses and then put it back up again.

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    +1. I just turn down the mains. Although if I use more than one bass on a gig which is happening more and more I use a Raven Labs MDB1. Cool piece of gear for multiple basses.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to do the same thing and never had a problem. I wasn't using the DI to send a signal to the PA though.

I can't recall if the "speaker off button" disconnects the DI; if it doesn't and you're DIed into the PA system, you might cause a big pop to come through the mains and possibly blow something.

:meh:

5. Thanks to my fellow bassists out there, for a few bits of advice.
    I am not sending a signal to FOH yet. There is a DI off switch on the iAMP which I will use when necessary.
    Cutting the main vol to "0" makes sense, too
    Thanks again.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The speaker off button does not disable the DI, which actually led to a bit of confusion at my last show. I do use the speaker off button between sets, or between soundcheck and the first set - which is what I did on the gig in question. I was running sound, so I was somewhat distracted. In this club, we run a bit of everything through the PA, and my PA speakers are all bass cabs (one VL-210 per side for lows, and mid/highs through two VL-208's and one Epifani T-110UL per side). During the first several songs, I was focusing on getting the vocals right (we didn't really have time for a full soundcheck), and a couple songs in, I noticed that my bass didn't sound quite right. I twiddled with my rig, I twiddled with the board, and it was okay, but not quite what I wanted. My rig (iAMP 800 into two NL-210's) seemed a little quiet. It wasn't until the 4th or 5th song that I realized the speaker off button was still on off! :eek: Needless to say, my rig was not too quiet after that!

And for the record, I turn the speaker off, but leave the bass plugged in, and I leave the volume and DI knobs alone, but I mute the PA (except for CD player, if necessary) between sets.

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

8. Thanks again, all you people, especially Tom,
    I'm not totally surprised that you overlooked the obvious on your rig. So many knobs, so little time!
    You have a very interesting set-up for your PA!
    We all know that you have a mountain of cabs packed in your place. Must be nice!
    Anyway, thanks again, Kirk

9. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I prefer the speaker switch over turnign the volume to zero for two reasons:
    1) faster
    2) You don't have to remember where you set it.

Also, turning the volume down does not turn off the DI!!!!!

So, when I'm plugged in I always switch both switches simultaneously, this way I don't forget to turn the PA back on. In addition, I used a red marker to mark a red ring around the bottom of the DI off switch so I can easily see if its on or off. In my opinion there should be a big red blinking light when the DI is off.

When I switch I get all lights going (all input lights, input overload, input clip of the BBE 362), but not the clip light.

Most of the time I am going through the Zoom BFX708 into the iAMP, and I use the Zoom mute switch for switching basses.

Anothe roption is to use a cable with a switch like the one from Planet Waves.

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I use the Radial BassBone, which has a mute switch for switching basses.

Mike

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good point. My TU-2 does this for me.

But in between sets, I do prefer the "speaker off" on the iAMP and "mute" on the PA, which lets me leave all of my levels set where I had them.

12. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    How is the Bassbone? I've been thinking about that piece of equipment - is it a worthy addition to the EA setup?

Wolfram

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    SO far I am liking it. Most of the times I am using it on gigs that I go directly into the board. For that it is great. I have used it a few times with the EA gear, but not to enhance the tone (as I do if I am going direct), but just as a "control center". I tis made well, is super clean, very functional.

MIke