Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iAMP800 vs. Aguilar DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoyBase, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Okay guys and gals, I have a question for you, especially those that know these 2 amps.

I currently have the DB750 and althoug I love it to pieces, the weight is really starting to get to me. Since I just had retina surgery, I've been limited to the weight I can lift.

Now I know that the iAMP has a more "uncolored" tone and all, but it weighs in more than 30lbs lighter and has similar power (i like having plenty of headroom for different situations).

I have a BlueTube rack mount pre that has a very warm tone so I know I can use it to help tweak here and there.

Do you think I'd be happy with the iAMP tone or should I just buy a nice hand truck and keep the Aguilar? I've never tried an iAMP before so any input you can provide would rock.

Thanks
    Tommy

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've owned both amps and have to say if you can stand to haul it around, keep the DB750. That amp is by far the best sounding amp on the market today!! If you want something else to have that's easier to haul around, check out the GK 1001RBII. Almost half the price of the iAmp, lighter, and easier to EQ. But I'd hold on to the DB750. If you just can't stand to carry it around anymore I'd suggest the Walter Woods Ultra over the iAmp. Walter has them in stock and ready to deliver.

3. I'd have to concure with NMBass...And as far as outright power...the DB (at least to my ears) literally, is 3x as loud! I don't EVER remember running mine past 10 o'clock with a Bergantino 322...while in the same setting the iamp 800 with 2 Cxl 1-12's and a VL 2-10 was often clipped.

BUT...as with both of these amps...you're married to their specific tone! I know the iamp is supposed to be the colorless wonder(funny, don't they all make that claim???)...but set 5 amps up in a room that all claim to be utterly colorless; run through the same cabinet...and your gonna notice HUGE differences with them all set flat. So who's the flattest of the flat contenders?!

Bottom line...tone is really your issue and my personal preference would handly go to the DB!

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I personally prefer the iAMP to the Aguilar. I like a more uncolored tone. The iAMP gives you the sound of your bass. The EQ is incredibly versatile, so you can alter it in any way you like.

5. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The "incredibly versatilite" is exactly what I didn't like about the iAmp 800. The DB750 sounds great, PERIOD!! Only a few knobs to tweak your sound. The iAmp has thousands of tonal possibilities and I never found one of them that sounded as good as the DB750.

6. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I'll second NeedMoreBass and the GK1001RBII idea. Good tone and plenty of poot and the same weight as the Iamp. I use mine as a backup to my little rack system.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey soy man,

if anything i'd really invest in a cart like SKB's Roll-X rack. better yet, just get a great folder truck like the Wesco or Ruxxax. your back will thank you. ;)

but if the back is the main issue, i'd REALLY look into the walter woods. its a very clean hifi sound, but i'm sure with a Sansamp Bass DI pedal, you can rough it up for a more raunchy sound, OR get a SIB FatDrive, which'll quickly warm it up with its 12AX7.

if you end up getting the iAMP800, i'd get the FatDrive to warm it up thru the loop. worked wonders with my Clarus.

btw, what speakers are you running?

8. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Thanks for all the input guys!

I think I'm just going to keep te DB750. I searched and searched for about a year for the amp that best fits me, and this one was it by far.

I will ask for a roller/folding cart for christmas and be done with it.

9. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Ooops posted before i was ready..

jokerny, I am using an Aguilar GS410 and GS210 cabs right now, so obviously the "all aggie" stuff sounds excellent paired together.

Thanks again for all the input on the amps!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Oooooooooo,

nothing rocks like Aggie on Aggie action. :cool:

pics?

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    That is actually one of the dumbest things I have ever heard!

How do you tell, easy! record your bass direct through a DI. Hear what your bass sounds like, then plug in the amps. That is what EA does and does very well. It gives you a blank canvas to build your own tone, not the predetermined tone of a particular manufacturer.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Does this help? http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/iamp800.htm

For what it's worth, i've been using the iamp 800 almost exclusively on gigs - especially since my db680 has been in the shop. VERY happy with the sound. Not as interesting and fun as the Aguilar, but much cleaner and more versatile.

Initially when people wrote the iAMPs are versatile, I assumed they meant because the tone controls are so flexbile. However, like Mike said - the iAMP sounds more like your actual bass, which makes the tone cleaner and more flexible for a wider variety of gigs and situations.

The iAMP sounds incredible with Epifani T112 cabinets.

13. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003

Well, dumb maybe. I think your comment is dumber.
    When you record your bass "throught a direct box" the direct box will drop the signal down to mic level. This means that you now have to record through a mic pre.
    Every mic pre has "a tone". Then it's going to be on a storage medium, disk, tape, etc.... all of which can influence the sound. Then you are going to hear it back on a studio monitor. Powered by an amp. They all have different characteristics too. In short, recording bass your bass shows you what you have recorded, including all the electronics in the chain, and you are going to hear it back through another electronic signal chain. None of which are neccesarily neutral, blank or anything! The recording may sound great, or may sound ****ty. But why would you assume that recording your bass is a litmus test tor the value of a bass amp-which is a tool (or musical instrument) designed to do a different task than a studio signal chain?
    Why not compare the sound of one amp to another and pick the sound that is the most musical?

14. P60J65

P60J65

Nov 11, 2003
    he told you Mr. dimin. :spit: i agree with billys point. he sumed it up for me.

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You know, I tend to agree with what you're saying Mike.

But saying that someone else's opinion is dumb is just beyond rude.

For flexibility - it's hard to beat the iAMP 800.

16. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I've owned 2 iAmp 800's and the tone of these amps could not TOUCH the tone of the DB750. Instead of plug and play like the Aggie, I found myself searching through thousands of tonal possibilties trying to find a tone that worked and none did!! Call me dumb, but I'd rather spend my time playing instead being frustrated with an over complicated(and over rated) amp like the iAmp 800.

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I have been with Talkbass since the beginning. Since a time when you really knew everybody who posted. I have seen it grow, I've been involved, too intimately, with some of it's growing pains. It really hurts me now to see that many industry insiders have gone to calling this forum "trashbass".

Remarks, made under the anonymity of a screen name, that are done thoughtlessly, callously or with outright contempt have brought this forum to, what I feel, is a make it or break it time.

When I said that the aforementioned comment was dumb, please believe me that it was the least of what I wanted to say. As a writer, let me re-phrase the original post in a way that is positive and provides valuable information:

original post:
    revision:

In my opinion, the DB750 sounds great, right out of the box, PERIOD!! Only a few knobs to tweak your sound. The iAmp has thousands of tonal possibilities. I never found one of them that sounded as good to me as the DB750.

Wow, now that is positive. Shows how you feel in a positive and informational light. It mentions how great you feel the DB750 is (something that I agree with, BTW). You mention that iamp has "thousands of tonal possibillities (a real plus for many, but, alas, not for you).

I don't think your opinion is dumb, not in the least. Your statement on the other hand ...

As for the idea of a DI. Please understand that everything from the lenght of your finger nails to the age of your strings, the strength of battery and length of your cord affect your sound. That being said. EA was founded to meet a challenge. Here is a quote from the EA site. You can forgive my hyperbole about revolutionizing the bass world

That is why I used the DI as an example. EA's transparency can also be backed up by plotting spl's across the frequency range. It is as flat as possible.

Mike

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The DB750 sounds great - no argument there. But as a working pro, one tone is not enough. One signature sound does not work, for me. I need as much flexibilty and versatility as possible. My solo gigs need as much clarity and transparency as possible. With up to 5 simultaneous lines happening, the warmth of a DB750 turns to mud. On a blues gig a DB750 would work amazing for me. I also know that I can get near that tone with the versatility built into the iAMP.

But when you use the term "overrated" in parenthesis, you don't show your intellectual thought process but an emotion and attitute that goes deeper than amplifiers. It talks to the problem with "trashbass"

Mike Dimin
    (my real name)

19. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Let's see, I'm posting my honest opinion about an amp and you're responding by calling people dumb and questiong their intellectual thought process. I think you ought to look in the mirror about the trashbass problem and think twice about posting your real name.

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

What do you base your opinion on? What level of experience or expertise do you have? You don't say. Have you been playing for 1 year or 30, are you a hobbyist or a pro? What makes your opinion important? Tell me, please, why I (or anyone else) should value your opinion. I don't ask this out of contempt or malice - just honesty. Your background, your experience gives creedance to your statements. If you do not provide this, than your opinion is like that old joke, "opinions are like a**holes - everyone has one."

I didn't call you dumb. I did however call your statement dumb. When you use pejorative statements, in your posts, you are giving away that your opinion is not based on unbiased opinion but on some other "issue" that you either have with EA or within yourself. In fact, the use of statements like that, actually work to negate your opinion rather than strengthen it. If I walk into a store and the sales clerk tells me I should buy their item because their competitor's sucks, I usually walk out. I used to take the time to say "Don't tell me why they suck, tell me why your is so good."

I have no problem posting my name because I am not ashamed of what I say or feel that I need to hide my opinion. BTW, if you read what I said, it is not I, but many in the industry, who refer to this place as 'Trashbass.' I have invested too much of my own time, initiative and money to see this forum along, to give up. I will however hold anyone I can accountable for their posts.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.