Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fast slapper, Dec 27, 2001.

1. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    How do these amps sound? Could they get warm,what I mean is could they get to where you can't hear fret buzz or little details.Darker. My last question is are the newer amps different than the Iamp 600?

2. I briefly owned the iAMP 600 and thought it had a nice, wide range for tone shaping. I wouldn't say it could tweek out fret noise or buzzing (I didn't have a big problem with that so wasn't an issue for me). Between EQ capabilities on your bass and the tone versatility of this amp, you should be able to get a deep, warm tone. Your ears are the best judge of that, of course. I don't believe there's a big difference in their new 750 ( I think its a 750) from the 600 other than power. I could be wrong. The fans in the 600 were much quieter than the 350.
    Unfortunately, the 600 clipped often as I was trying to drive EA's VL210 and 208 in parallel (4 ohms) in a loud band. Had to sell and currently use Crown K2.

3. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm not in a "quiet band" either, but have 2 EA 208 cabinets and I'm concerned that 600 watts with the low efficiency of these cabinets, regardless of whether it's EA watts or some other head will be a problem.

I'm using a Sunn 1200 S head which is rated somewhere around 900 to 1000 watts at 4 ohms/1200 @2 and it easily drives my cabinets without clipping, be it at 8 ohms doing a gig in a smaller room or at 4 ohms using both cabs.

I'm only looking to see if I can eliminate some of the weight of my Sunn by getting a head that's not only lighter, but also has enough tone shaping that I won't need my 31 band eq which I have now in addition to a power conditioner and a rack.

GK rb1001 looks like a cheap date potential candidate...I've heard it push your exact setup (210 and 208 EA's) and sounded great, BUT, it wasn't "cranked".

I found the new Laney B1 intriging in the Bass Player article and with a "reasonable" amount of discounting, it should be priced right there with the EA 750, SWR 750, Eden 800, Aguilar 750 etc, but with 1500 watts bridge mono at 4 ohms.

Good luck to the posters here. Stay in touch.

Larry Kaye

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very clean. Not what I'd call warm at all. I found the 600 ran out of gas pretty quick above 12 o'clock.

Larry, I can't imagine you being happy with the 600 driving those ineffecient cabs unless you're doing quiet lounge jazz.

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Thanks for the information! Has any body else noticed the trend in 750 watt amps.