EA Loudness?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, May 12, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    How loud would a single EA cab (either CLX210, or VL2100) be at 800 watts? I don't want an exact number, but just if it would be heard over loud guitars without always using a PA?
  2. According to EA's website, the CXL-210 has as max SPL of 130 dB. How loud is that? I have no idea.:D
  3. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    With 800 watts I wouldn't use the VL series. I love the Vls and own 4 of them (210, 208, 2 110s) but they are a bit more inefficient and I have a 1200 watt amp to drive the two cabs. I would go with an EA Cxl 112, they are really efficient (sensitivity is 103 I believe) really compact and I've only heard great things about them, they are a bit more out front soundwise. Two of them with 800 watts should be all you would ever need, but 1 would probably do real well. I'm actually going to sell a couple of the VLs and get a Cxl 112.
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have a vl-210 8 ohm being powered by an old sm400, 400 watts at 8 ohms. It does fine with my band. Granted we are not a very loud band but I do have to cut through 1 guitar,keys, a strong drummer, trombone and sax, and it cuts through just fine and I never go through the PA. I wouldn't mind having another one for the outdoor gigs we sometimes do. Abaguer???
  5. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    swingbass: I envy your volume-aware bandmates. The only time I worry about volume is with top 40 stuff when you have to go against cranked vocals and drums in the PA. I'm never close to clipping the Woods with the VLs but I don't like to push it much past halfway. One of the reasons I'm thinking about the Cxl 112 is the cut factor. I love the VL series but they are a bit more mellow than the Kevlar impregnated speakers although I haven't gotten any complaints from anyone. As always it's a matter of taste.
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Abaguer, If you were to sell one of your vl-210's. How much would want for it?
  7. I used to use a VL110 and VL208 with an Iamp 600 head. Great sound, but not the most effecient rig. I have replaced that setup with one CXL112. It is louder than the two cab setup, more portable and has the same great sound. With two of these cabs I doubt you would need a 410.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just started using a Hughes & Kettner amp (650w) with my VL-110s cabs (first gig was last Saturday). I'm still grinning like a fool. Huge sound that more than one person commented couldn't be coming out of these cabs... after all, they look like monitors:). Slapping on the B string just flat out slammed. Huge but tight. More texture than my 420w AMP amp, serious thump, sweet mids and highs. Perfect.

I'm still waiting to check out the newer coax cabs. If they are indeed an improvement... honestly I have a hard time even considering the possibility. My rig now sounds perfect... and can get damned loud. Let's just say I'm skeptical based on my experience;)
  9. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I'm using a pair of 4 ohm VL210's driven by an Aguilar DB680 into a Crown K2. I have had absolutely no problem being heard either on stage or off playing in a 10 piece (loud) horn band. I've had our soundman ask me to turn it down to get a better balance in the house sound mix.
  10. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    All my EAs are all 8 ohm, hence the added power. My friend has the same rig as me except his VL's are 4ohms and there's a real noticeable difference in how hard we have to push the Woods.

I should be clear that I'm not unhappy with these speakers. They are the best I've ever played through. I would just like to have more efficiency. Wedding stuff I'm through the PA so it's no prob, casuals and jazz gigs are also fine; but some Top 40 bar gigs, they run everyone through the PA except me. That's the only type of gig I need the volume on and I end up doing a fair amount of them.

Swingbass. If I sold my 210 I'd ask $450 since it's the old ones (not VL series II).