1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EA Micro 300, Epifani UL-110?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by cbird, Aug 17, 2007.

1. cbird

cbird

Sep 27, 2006
    Davis, CA
    Been reading lots of rave reviews about EA's new Micro 300 paired with a 10" Wizzy... Anyone out there tried a Micro 300 with an Epi UL-110? I'm considering the Micro 300 paired with one of the 10"ers, but don't have any options for test driving the setups around here.

Cheers

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I *think* Adrian Cho made some comments with regards to the Micro 300 into a Epi 10 in one of the earlier Micro300 threads-try doing a search for his posts.

I'm interested too, but since it's summer i've got far too much time to think about gear.

take it easy.

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    My ear prefers the UL-110 than the Wizzy 10. Depending on what you are sending to the Wizzy 10, the sound is too harsh for me - much like the LDS 1x8 cab was. For example, the Full Circle alone into the UL-110 sounded just great for me. Into the Wizzy it ain't so great. I haven't really had a chance to try the AMT with Wizzy however and I'll be doing that tonight now that I finally have a repaired Micro 300. In any case, I really don't think I could go back to carrying a UL-110 after the Wizzy. The smaller size and weight is that dramatic even if it doesn't seem that much on paper.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Really interested to see where this thread goes... Looking for a light 1x10 rig.

How about the Schroeder Mini 10L at 17lbs? With the Micro 300 that rig would weigh in at 19.5 lbs total!!! :hyper: :hyper:

5. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes the Schroeder could be very interesting. It's very close to the Wizzy in dimensions and weight (the Wizzy is actully 16.5 lbs even though it is advertised at 18 lbs) and it has a tweeter.

6. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    EA VL110 + EA iAmp 500

Mmmmmmm!

7. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Yea I just A/B'd the LDS and Wizzy 100 yesterday (as I sold the LDS's) and I have to say the LDS 2 way with C driver sounded the warmest of the three. The Wizzy 10 is just so small and light and the tone is much more even and omni directional. But it IS very mid rangey. I use the mid reduction curve on the U5.

8. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I recently acquired a Schroeder 4 ohm Mini 10 + Light demo from Jorg. I compared it with my Wizzy 10 very briefly before UPS picked up my Micro 300 for repair. The Schroeder cuts through like crazy!! The Wizzy 10 seems to have a deeper soundstage but does not have the bite due to the lack of a tweeter, which prompted me to get the Schroeder, which is not even close to being broken in yet. The two plus the Micro 300 should be devastating!

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

9. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    bottomzone, I would be definitely interested in hearing more on the Schroeder 4 ohm Mini 10+ L vs the Wizzy 10. Please keep reporting in! How do you find carrying the Schroeder vs the Wizzy 10?

10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Of all the EA VL series I was never able to get comfortable with
    the VL 110. With my bass and the Realist it's just to dark compared to the VL 208 and that's saying something because the 208 is a pretty mellow cabinet.

Ric

11. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    The Schroeder is ~ 6 oz heaver than the Wizzy 10!!! I can't feel any difference. Since it is 2 inches shorter, 4 inches wider and 1 inch deeper than the Wizzy 10, it won't fit in the Wizzy 10 Back Pack:crying: . As soon as I get my repaired Micro 300 back and really get a chance to break in the Schroeder, I will post my opinion here.

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    That's awesome bout the Schroder-i never thought to look into those.

I'm glad that there's some affordable [ok-relatively] light weight gear out there.