1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EA Micro 550 - anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by conundrum, Apr 2, 2009.

1. conundrum

conundrum

May 10, 2008
    Canada
    Anyone get their hands on this yet? Impressions? Any reason why it couldn't be paired with a Wizzy 10 to start with?

2. conundrum

conundrum

May 10, 2008
    Canada
    Anyone, Bueller, anyone?

3. link?

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I don't believe these are in production yet. Someone had a pre production iAmp Pro a while back, but after a single post, no more information.

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Finally!

I've been hoping for this thing to come out for a while. I really, really want to try one bad.

I can't believe they still have a 1/4" DI plug though. Ugh. That's really dumb IMO.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I think that's a space issue. It's a stereo plug that acts just like an XLR out. I think there are small cables available that go from the 'stereo 1/4" out to XLR, so you can use a standard mic cable to the board or snake.

Not optimal IMO, but better than just an unbalanced out like on the Walter Woods.

7. "The Wizzy 10 can make an excellent companion speaker for a powerful yet compact rig. In spite of being so light and compact it can deliver quite a punch. At the right is a photo of true Bass Bliss, with Bob at a September 2008 outdoor party gig playing a Micro 300/Wizzy 10 rig. Carrying it in and out of a gig was bliss, too. "

Dunno about the Micro 550 (or what that is). If you keep the volume down, you should be ok. Rated at only 250 watts handling at 4 ohms per your link.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I owned a Micro300 for awhile and the tone was really nice. Warm and rich. Very light too. This amp was very underpowered though. 300w? I have an 80w yorkville combo which is MUCH louder. I also found the DI & gain set screws to be very flimsy. They are just plastic mounted in a way that if you apply too much pressure they will bend over. Not good.

Overall, its a great sounding amp, somewhat delicate and underpowered. Good for lower to medium vol practices (depending on your cab size/efficiency).

Hopefully the 500 will be significantly louder... but based on my experience with the micro 300 I doubt it will be in the same league of the LMII / Shuttle 6.0 in terms of volume output.

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm glad the DI is balanced and a converter would fix the 1/4" to XLR problem.

I'm also hoping the volume is significantly louder as well like :::BASSIST::: says. If that's all true, I'm getting one ASAP.

10. Doc Halo

Doc Halo Musician, heal thyself. Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Yup. FWIW, Bob's offering one free with the purchase of the new Micro.

11. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Hmmm. I think it might be a surprise in terms of volume. I think they are using the digital amp circuit as found in the best of the micros out there. And none of them have been called power shy. Now that's not to say, you might find the volume controls set to a different position than other amps, but overall output should be there I hope. I also thought the original Micro's sound was at the top of the pile among small amps.

That being said, I was able to run the original Micro 'full out' on a fairly loud rock gig in 90 degree heat and humidity, and with lights-a-flashing, it held up like a trooper. But having extra headroom would have been nice.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I owned two of the original Micros, and I found the volume lacking enough to sell them (my cab is an Acme B2, so it takes a lot of power). I really liked the sound and features though, so I was happy to hear about the latest version. I just sold my Markbass F1 and will be ordering one of the new Micros next week- should arrive in 2-4 weeks apparently. It'll be nice to be able to fit an amp on my pedalboard again :D

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Got my Micro 550 in today....man, I forgot how small these things were :D

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    How is the power output?

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Micro now uses a B&O ICEpower module (like numerous other micro heads), so its power output should be right up there with the rest of the class. :cool:

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey Tom- for some reason when I have a bass plugged into each input, I can't get them to both work simultaneously even when both channels are selected. Am I supposed to flip a dip switch or something?

The output is definitely better than the older Micro 300. It's still not as loud as a Markbass F1, which is rated slightly lower, but it'll definitely keep up.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not sure. I don't actually have one in my mitts just yet.

18. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd

May 27, 2006
    Philly Baby!
    Actually held one in my hands today @ Bass Specialties in Philly, didn't plug it in, though. Man, is it small!!

19. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Hey Bryan, how does it sound?