1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EA Micro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jjk2007, Sep 29, 2009.

1. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Just got this little guy in at work today and will be taking it out tonight for its first work. Construction looks good and there are some pretty cool little features on it. Notice the trim pots, and the jumpers inside can be changed around to "customize" different features for personal needs/wants. I put a pen on it just so you could get somewhat of a feel for the size. Wish I could explain more but I'm out of time for now.

2. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Good luck with it. I've got a doubler and love it...

3. bassdaddyfive

bassdaddyfive

Feb 12, 2009
    Kenosha Wi.
    I have one of the 300 watt black face Micro. I have been working it hard, and no problems. I wish you well with it. I love mine and looking at a doubbler soon.

4. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Man, did this thing deliver tonight. Ran my Tobias Basic 5 through it into one of my NL210's and it hung with 2 guitars, keys, and a slammin' drummer nicely. Just had to do some quick adjustments to the input trim pot and the DI as well and this thing was ready to go. The guys in the band were cracking up about its size, but soon found out this thing delivers. I gotta say I prefer the tone of this thing over the iamp 800 I had for sure. I haven't even had a chance to dial anything in yet. I left the EQ "flat" and it had the cut for days. Tight low end (which I prefer), nice musical mids and a nice smooth high end. A big thumbs up to the guys at EA on this one.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i really liked mine when i owned one. i thought that it had an excellent smooth tone and clarity. truly a marvel in such a tiny , lightweight package. the only reason that i sold it was because it didn't have quite a enough power for my band. i bought it thinking that 300 watts was enough, but it wasn't as loud (or i should say 'full') as my 150-200 watt tube heads or even close to my 300 watt SVT's. if my band played at just a little softer volume, i'd still have it.

6. jmeyers44

jmeyers44

Sep 20, 2008
    What do all the trim pots do?

7. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The first 2 trim out channels one and two. The third actually adjusts the high pass filter, and the fourth adjusts the level of the DI. The only way to keep this head "micro" but give it some flexibility too.

8. jmeyers44

jmeyers44

Sep 20, 2008
    That sounds pretty cool. What exactly does the high pass filter do? I'm a big EA fan. I have 2 iAmp 500's and 2 CXL 112. But I am interested in the micro for sure. I did suggest to Gary at EA that he make a single channel micro with the iAmp preamp on it. Imagine how cool that would be if it came out.

9. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I'd actually prefer a new IAMP Pro power section with the Doubler front end!

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I dig my original Micro 300! For a lot of gig's it's all I need. Simple, effective3 and it fit's in the pocket of my gig bag. Not the loudest thing on the planet but maybe the most convenient. My WT800 hardly ever leaves the house.

11. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I emailed Gary at EA to be totally certain, and he said it works for channel 2, and fully off (left/counterclockwise) the filter is disengaged. As you turn it up it rolls off 22hz to 55hz. As much as I liked my iamp800, I just never got into all the mission control that it had going on. It was too much for me and I guess I'm just a simple eq guy at heart. I think the micro is here to stay just the way it is for me. :D

12. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    I love this amp! I've been using one for a few months now. For my restaurant gig, the guitar player and I both plug in and play out of the same speaker box. So easy!

13. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sounds cool DDub. I can't wait to get some more time in with mine, especially running both of my NL210's with it. I'm going to be taking a little gigging hiatus as child number two is due within the next several days, but it will get some nice workouts down the road!!

14. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    i've been pleasantly surprised how well my micro keeps up with a heavy handed drummer... I really want some wizzy cabs now to go with the head.

15. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice! I wish my Micro 300 had the HP filter. My unit is actually at EA right now being modded for the hiss problem the orginial amps had. I asked Gary if it would be possible to modify the HP since I am getting too many sub lows with my Piezo pickup. The new Micro looks just great!

16. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's too bad about the hissing problem Adrian. Mine is super quiet. I haven't even used channel 2 yet. I might have some time tonight to mess with it and see how the HPF works. I gigged it again on Thursday night with the 210 and it sounded great. The DI seems to work very well too. No soundguy issues yet!!

17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am not sure how useful the HP filter will be for bass guitar, although it can be a great tool for tightening up the low end. I primarily use them to tame the sub lows that are created by some piezo pickups with the Double Bass. Depends on the cabinet you are using as well(EA cabs always seem to have a really tight low end anyway).

18. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Has anybody found a bag or case for the new micro?

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  20. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You're totally correct on the HPF being better for DB than electric. I just want to see how much of an effect it has, if any on my electrics. I use all EA stuff, so I'm really not worried about having to tighten up the low end that much anyhow. So far ch. 1 has been killin' it for me already, but it will be fun to see what I can do with ch. 2.