1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EA Micro300 head - quick review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by macmrkt, Aug 25, 2007.

1. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I have the latest version of the Micro300 - just arrived. This one has all the details worked out as will all new ones I guess. I had used an earlier version on an outdoor gig with a Wizzy M line cabinet. While that Micro held up all night, it had to be run near full output to get the volume needed. It did so and braved hot tropical conditions without a wimper. I also briefly tested the original Micro300 against a Markbass LMII and slightly perferred the tone of the Micro for DB.

Back to the new Micro. I ran it last night on a low to medium volume blues and classic rock indoor gig with no PA support in a trio-with-drums setting. The club has a good sized PA so the vocals got medium loud. I used a 5 string BG and the Wizzy M cabinet again. The Micro was FABULOUS! Getting more specific is very unscientific, and while I can't make direct comparisons, IMHO, this was about the best sound I've gotten in that room. And that's after 12 tries using a variety of EA, Markbass and Bergantino gear. This particular 5 string BG never sounded better. Lots of growl and punch and a very detailed sound. Not really pure hi-fi, nor vintage. Kind of a mixed studio monitor sound plus warmth. A tone I can't remember getting before and one you don't expect to hear on a bar gig. I have to think the big improvement in my sound was the Micro head.

I'd also like to comment about the gain capability. Mike Dimin of EA said I might find this fully operational, latest series of the Micro to play louder. HE WASN'T KIDDING! I had the preamp at halfway, and the power amp just below half. And I had more gain than the early Micro running at near full on the power amp. I'd say the new Micros are easily a third more powerful that the early ones.

In summary, congratulations to Gary and the EA team. When you add up what he's done at EA in the few short years he's been at this, he's built up quite a record of amp accomplishments. But this series, starting with the Micro300, might turn out to be his best...and a new benchmark.

2. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Sounds nice. What is the intended use/purpose of the 2 channels? I imagine it wasn't EA's goal to do so but if it were 100-200 watts stronger (without changing the price) it would be a very real choice over the LittleMark II for players in that large market. I'm sure EA would love some of those sales and attention! Interesting to read your "warm" description. It's always a good trait in a solid state amp...IMO.

3. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I guess I wasn't dreaming then. I received my upgraded Micro back last week and I noticed that it seemed quite a bit louder as well. That was one of several complaints I had early on when I first received mine, but with the new one in hand it looks like most of my issues have been resolved. It's still not dead quiet, but it's not noisy enough for me to worry about.

- Frank.

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    While I still haven't heard one of these yet :crying: I can answer the two input question. Currently I use 2 basses on most gigs; fretless and/or fretted and/or EUB. I use a Raven Labs MDB1 to switch quickly between basses so the Micro is perfect for me since I can eliminate the MDB1.

5. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The twin channel design has two uses... With a single bass plugged in you can switch between both channels taking advantage of different gain & eq settings. You can also plug two basses into it, each having it's own channel. I haven't tried this yet but I'm pretty sure you can have both basses active at the same time (i.e. teacher & student playing through it).

Regarding the comparison to the LMII... I have one of these as well. For me, they serve very different purposes. The Micro/Wizzy/backpack combo is the answer to my prayers for jam sessions, practices, coffee houses and other relatively small indoor gigs... Easy in and out with bass in one hand, amp/cables in the other. For larger events I'm pairing the LMII with a Schroeder 1212R. The size & weight difference between the EA and Markbass isn't really a factor in that situation for me. EA had claimed at one point that the technology used in the Micro is scalable to over 1000 watts without much increase in weight and size... I guess time will tell.

- Frank.

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Sounds like they have the bugs worked out. Just placed an order for mine!:bassist:

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's a third use for the 2 channels - blending and EQing separate signals from a pickup and a mic if you're using an upright bass or acoustic bass guitar.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great review! I gotsta get me one! :D

9. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Great news - Reefer and tombowlus, 2 sages of the bass world who taught me what was up, will get a listen and likely straighten me out!

10. I'm shocked that you don't already have one :bag:

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To be honest, when I talked to the guys at EA and realized how high the demand was for these, I said I'll wait until the main surge was over, as I have one or two other things to play through. :smug: :p But ever since hearing them at NAMM, I had (and still have) every intention of picking up a Micro and two Wizzy 10's. :cool:

12. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I'd love to see a 400-500watt EA head. I know you're probably saying "what about the iAmp500". Close ,but more simplistic, keep the price more towards the Micro300 and exchange the 2 channels for added watts (without changing the price).

The added bonus would be buying from a company based in the US and excluding Guitar Center as a middle man in my warranty,future parts or future service process (especially after the warranty runs out)as in MarkBass. Not to mention getting a nice product from EA. I like the style of the EQ on this Micro300,it's more traditional.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    It sounds like the Micro300 would be pretty sweet but I'd much rather it have a real DI, headphone out, and the aux in like the iamp versus the dual channel setup.

Ah well, I might still get one anyways. :)

14. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I somewhat agree. I would most definately welcome a 3.5mm or 1/4" stereo headphone out, 3.5mm stereo tape/cd aux input and an XLR balanced DI out (like on the iAmp 200), even at the expense of an inch or two in width and/or depth and a few more ounces in weight. I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the dual channel feature for it however. Of course, that's just me.

- Frank.