Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA NL-210 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kael, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Does the NL-210 have a break in period. Just got a new one and am curious if I should "take it easy" for a couple days with it. Obviously I am fighting overwhelming urges to open the puppy up, but am afraid that it will cause some sort of ACME'esque damage. :confused:

Thanks in advance...

2. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I don't think there is any break in period for the cabinet, I hope not anyway, I've been playing the heck out of my new NL-210 for the week I've owned it, sounds great! I've heard of speakers changing sound somewhat after some use, particularly guitar speakers that are overdriven as part of the tone, but a bass or PA cabinet, I'm not so sure.....

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    EA sent me an email that an hour at moderate volume should have everything seated well. I was having an issue with what sounds like clipping/distortion and was afraid at first that it was my new cab. Upon further investigation, it appears to be the power section on my iamp!!!! :bawl:

Have sent an email to gary at EA, and am waiting to hear back from him.

On the plus side, everyone was right. The NL-210 sounds great coupled with the CXL-112. Also like the fact the the NL-210 weighs less than my 112 (my cxl 112 is the old heavy one).

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thumbs up on the NL-210! :hyper: And condolences on the glitch with the iAMP. :crying:

Let us know how you like the rig once it's all up and running on all cylinders!

Tom.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tom, have you tried an NL-210 with a wizzy 112 cab? If so, how does it compare to the 210/CxL112? What's your favorite combo of EA cabs from the newer ones that are available? Thanks Tom.

6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    subscribe. I'm always interested in Tom's take on things EA.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Aw, shucks, guys! :p

I have not tried the Wizzy and the NL-210 at the same time, but I did spend some time A/B-ing the Wizzy to the NL-210 both singly and in pairs. The two actually have some similar characteristics - mainly, the ability to sound somewhat warm and full, yet remain clear as a bell. I think that is quite an accomplishment, really. The Wizzy was a bit more focused in the mids, and the NL-210 a bit more extended in both directions (highs and lows), but I really didn't have a favorite. I will say, though, that they both sounded phenomenal with my Mesa Walkabout (I was "testing" them both for a TBer who wanted to know how they would sound with a Walkabout).

I tried the CxL-112 and the Wizzy together a while back (probably some posts from me in the archives), but if I get the chance, I will try the NL-210 with the Wizzy, too.

As for my favorite combo of the newer EA cabs, obviously, it all depends on your needs and the application, but I have to say that two Wizzy's put a smile on my face every time! :D