1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EA NM410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 31, 2007.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So I've found a cheap Ex Demo one and it's got me tempted you know GAS ;)

I'm currently using 2 CXL112's that soon will be flightcased together for touring and most of my gigs but I like having another cab either just as a backup or as a smaller option for practice and such.

I had a VL210 and I didn't find it anywhere near loud enough with the volume my band plays and when I say band I mean my monster of drummer using trees for sticks, I know the NM is a much more efficient cab but I'm wondering how loud it will be with my EA Iamp800 and how it differs from my 2 cxl's I'm using currently.

Also I guess I could have it wired to 2 ohms as I've heard mentioned on this site so that I get a full 1000w out of it but that would mean my backup amp (EA Iamp 600) wouldn't work with it.

So what I'd like to know other than general user experiences is people that own them, what did it replace and why, what music do you play and such.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

2. Just to clarify... you are going to use your two CXL112's as your 'big rig' for touring. So, why would you want an even larger cab as a back-up?

Being a former VL210 owner and a current NL-210 owner, I would highly recommend the NL-210. It is much more articulate, loud, efficient and punchier than the old VL210 with a moderate amount of power (i.e., your iAmp800 running into the 8ohm version, which would be a perfect matchup). The new NL is right around 40 pounds. It's a little warmer and more mid punchy than your CXL112's, and the top end is a little sweeter versus that rather aggressive upper mid and treble response of the CXL112 with that huge horn.

Regarding the NM410, these obviously haven't caught on, although Tom Bowlus, in both his Bass Guitar review and in posts here indicates that it is quite loud and full sounding, even at 80hms with an iAmp800. I do know that this cab, just like the NL-210, has gone through various versions, with the latest version being quite a bit lighter and with drivers than fixed some issues EA was having with earlier versions. I would make sure that the demo you are looking at is the most recent version IMO.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK

Yeah but the CXL's will be flightcased together in one of those large cases where you just take the front off to save setup time and offer maximum protection so they will actually be larger and heavier than the NM410.

I do like the NL210 but the NM410 that I can get is about the same price as one if not cheaper, I also don't think an 8ohm nl210 would keep up with my drummer and a custom order one would take to long and work out more expensive than the NM410

But thanks for the info, I really liked the VL I had but just couldn't get it loud enough it just ate the watts.

4. +1 on the VL... big bottom, but not much else, even with a lot of watts (to my ear anyway). I think it was more of a voicing thing (deep bass, polite upper mids and treble) that resulted in those cabs getting somewhat buried in a mix, and they weighed a TON (as you know!).

That sounds like quite a deal on the NM410. I would PM Tom Bowlus if he doesn't show up here. He's one of the few that have actually played this cab, and he can provide a tone description and volume comparison versus the CXL112.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Maybe I should just buy this so we have a proper TB review of one in gigging situations :D

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    That kind of deal would be hard to pass up...

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    One last plee for information

8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    If the cab is one of tehe early with the first generation drivers I would pass on it if it were me. I had one and didn't care for it. If it's a newer cab jump on it.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Apparently a newer one with the handles on the top and such.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    So, my gigs don't count? :rollno:

;) :D

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Most I found with you having one on TB was it's great but sounds different to the NL210.

On the Dudepit I saw a picture of the amp with db750 on it and you said something along the line I got to crank it up outside and it sounded excellent.

Which was GAS educing doesn't give me the info I need to know about the comparison in volume with the 2 cxls and the nm.

But your comments are gladly welcome in fact i beg you for them :D

Thanks

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, one of the things I try to do with regard to gear that I have reviewed for the magazine is to not go into quite as much detail on my 'casual' comments online. But, it's been a while since that issue came out, so I can probably elaborate a bit more. :D

First off, I must say how impressed I was that it was able to handle a loud, outdoor gig in very impressive fashion. This is probably one of the loudest gigs I do over the course of a year (from a stage volume perspective, at least), and just the iAMP 800/NM-410 sounded phenomenal. I did really like the tone of the DB 750 into the NM-410, but without my GRAMMA pad (which I foolishly left behine), the tubes were rattling, so I swapped to the iAMP 800. 8 ohms be darned, that rig put out some serious volume!

Tonally, this 4x10 does not really sound like a 4x10, IME/IMHO. It has a more open, expansive, 'piano-like' tone that is more reminiscent of a nice bi-amped rig, to my ears. It does not have the thick, punchy midrange that many 4x10's deliver, but rather, it offers up a balanced midrange that is plenty full, but without any obvious peaks or valleys. The NM-410 covers a very broad area on stage, too. I know that the air coming out of those ports should be just omni-directional lows (if that), but to me, the side ports did seem to extend its coverage range.

Compared to two NL-210's, the two 2x10's actually sound a bit more punchy to me, and a tad more warm, and the 4x10 has a bigger, deeper, almost seismic low end. And the high end on the NM-410 is perhaps the best I have heard. That is one SWEET sounding tweeter in there, and John Dong admits that it's a much more expensive model than they use in their other cabs. You really gotta hear it to appreciate it.

If I could get an NM-410 for such an attractive price, I'd jump on it! :bassist:

Well, I hope that helps, some. :D

Tom.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Massively helpful man now can I hit you up for a loan ;)

I think you've just sold me on it so hopefully I can get it soon.

Cheers

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    OK bought it now we play the waiting game :D :hyper: :D

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    It's at home now, but I'm stuck at work and Singer goes away this weekend so no band practice for ageeeeeees

But yeah am excited, so excited that I might need to be sent home as I'm ill :D

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Got it today, sounds fantastic, is pretty light easily manageable on my own.

It's pretty damn loud so should do the job.

I can't wait for my next band practice.

63kdatw.jpg

6ew6jwl.jpg

4zmkk82.jpg

4qiqkiv.jpg

6hd5mhj.jpg

52dvofn.jpg

17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Whoa! Can you say "NICE RIG"! One of my rigs is 2 CXL112s and an iAMP800. It does a whole lot of damage in many gigging situations. I would never crank it loud in an outdoor gig. I use bigger stuff for that. So your whole setup is monstro dude!

18. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Nice.

I look forward to your feeling on the CXL compared to the 410.

Steve

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That's a nice fit with the shock-mount rack on top. It looks great. I look forward to your review. :)

Oh, and if it does not work out for some reason, you know who to contact if you want to get rid of it! :p :D

Tom.

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I mean, Tom!!!!;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021