Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA Question for Bob (All Hail!)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Joe Smithberger, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    You're teasing us Bob. I haven't seen a word on this board about the new IAmp 12 inch combo that's mentioned on your site. What's the deal? Is this gonna be something for us doublers? Just a hint....?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I think it will be a popular little box. I've got some details on it, though some final items (like pricing) haven't been disclosed. EA will introduce it at NAMM Nashville next month. I don't plan to go, but will probably journey to one of the EA guy's homes to check one out before they become available.

From what I've been told, the characteristics of the new 12" combo will be-

-same front end (preamp) as the iAMP series, which is damn impressive. I believe it will be inset into the top of the box, like many older and some current amps, to help the compact size.

-one 12" driver with a whizzer cone for the highs. No tweeter. For those who associate whizzer with another concept, it's a smaller stiff cone that grows out of the voice coil cover, or nearby, assisting in the reproduction of higher frequencies. Methinks the frequency response will be fine for we doublers or double bass alone.

-digital power amp delivers 175 watts into the internal 12 inch driver. And that's it-- no external speaker jack, though EA plans to offer powered cabs, sans preamp, to daisy chain for different demands, as well as 12" cabs without power, for those who may already pack a Clarus or something similar.

-EA continues its use of the the labyrinthine transmission line technology, rather than simple ports, which should give it the same distinct and even response.

-supposed to weigh in at about 30lbs.

-it will cost a good bit less than the current iAMP 350 Combo (ten inch w/coaxial horn)

As soon as I hear anything more, it will be posted on my site, and I'll respond to inquiries here, of course.

3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Actually the lack of a conventional extension speaker jack is a bit of a disappointment. That 12" must be 6 ohm??

However, the prospect of a powered extension from EA is interesting. I will be curious to see if an external preamp like my Tech 21 Acoustic DI would drive the powered extension without the amp?? More of a stage monitor type setup. This could be very slick for small DB gigs.

Thanks for the update. I'll keep watching.