EA question: Speaker size vs. volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gyoon, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    I am kind of torn between buying a euphonic audio cxl 112 and a vl 110. The deciding factor would be volume level. Will the vl 110 with 15 and a half inches of speaker size be louder than the cxl with only 12" of speaker size? I know that this has got to simplifying things a little too much, but I figure there has to be some co-relation between speaker surface and volume.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's not enough information to make an informed comparison. Beside cone area you'd have to know excursion limits, sensitivity, and half a dozen other driver parameters as well as details about the enclosure. The two least significant details about a driver are size and wattage, but unfortunately those are usually the only details the consumer has to work with.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

A quick look at the specs I could find online shows the CXL112 to be far more sensitive, at 103dB/1 watt/1 meter, compared to 97dB for the VL110. The CXL112 also is rated to handle 100 watts more than the VL110 will. You could probably find the max output ratings for both speakers with a more determined search than I gave it, since EA does give out those ratings.

As far as driver area, you forgot to factor in the tweeter in the CXL. Compression drivers can be very sensitive indeed. :cool: Also, the speaker mounting size does not equal radiating area.

FWIW, I ran a single CXL112 last night, playing with a Fender Twin Reverb and a 60 watt Traynor tube guitar head on stage,both semi-cranked, plus a fairly loud drummer, and could hear my electric upright just fine on stage without any bass in the monitors. It did take a little FOH support to get me to the back of the club, which is a 300 seater with a long dimension to the bar from the stage.
  5. Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Everything else being equal, the CXL112 should be noticeably louder than the VL110. If possible, you should do an A-B comparison and see which one sounds better to you.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've owned every EA cab except for the CxL-110 and the NM-410. The CxL-112 will definitely be louder - noticeably so - but the tone is quite different, so I would think that this would be more important. The VL-110 is, IMHO, more balanced, more smooth, and more refined. The CxL-112 is more cuttingly clear, more extended on both the extreme high end and low end - although not as full in the mids - and again, is going to be a good bit more loud.

When I use a VL-110, I normally use two or more of them (or combine with one or more VL-208's). With the CxL-112, I like to add the Deep switch on my iAMP 800, and this sounds fantastic. If I don't add any low end, though, I prefer to fatten up the tone by adding an NL-210. If you are looking for the ultimate in tone/volume out of a single EA cab, I have to put my vote in for the Wizzy, though. It's a fantastic little cab that is more full than the CxL-112 (though not as extended on the highs or lowest lows), and very light and portable.

But the beauty of EA gear is that it's really a choice of great cabs. You can't lose with any of them, in my opinion, at least.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  7. Another thing... at what frequency(s) is the sensitivity measured?

If taken at 1,000 Hz (typical practice), this is useless for electric bass.

Typically, the higher sensitivity cabs will have less bottom.. it the physics of the beast.
  8. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm a huge fan of the CXL112. I have two, with an EA iamp800. Here's my volume experience. I play in a fairly loud R&B/Motown/Funk band primarily in small/medium/large clubs. Bass, guitar. drums, sax, vocals. I never have to use the second cabinet in a club gig - ever. And I have a Mod Q5 which has a very demanding B string which the CXL112 handles at very loud volumes. The only time I use the second cab is for outdoor rib-fest type gigs we do in the summer and even then I really don't need the second cab because those venues have good PAs.
    As an additional frame of reference I also use it with my upright in a Jazz trio. Obviously no volume issues there though.
  9. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I've own both the clx112 and the vl110. The clx is much more efficient the the vl series, meaning to get the same loudness with the vl, you'll alot more wattage, like 600-800 watts to get what you'll have have with 400 watts into the clx. The vl is much more accurate sound, and has a wider frequency response. Also I have to praise the wizzy as well, as a great cabinet with best of both. Also it's really light!