EA Questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b15fliptop, Jul 30, 2005.

1. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Before I get flamed, I DID use the search feature, and I found a lot of useful info, but I think my intended application is a bit unique, so I'm posting this in hopes of gaining some enlightenment.

I currently use an Avatar SB112, which is OK, but I think it's time for a change. Normally I don't go for the Hi-Fi type of sound, and in fact I'm a staunch SansAmp user due to the fact that I like to control my tone coming out of the PA, which the SansAmp obviously allows. However, I recently acquired a 5-string electric upright, which doesn't work out so great with the Avatar - a bit too "colored". Last night I had the opportunity to play it through an SWR Redhead, and I immediately gained an appreciation for a more studio-like tone. The upright sounded great, but I'm still an old-school, tube-tone kinda guy on bass guitar. So here's my thinking: getting either a CXL-112 or a Wizzy would basically give me a pretty precise, monitor-like sound on stage (I use a Stewart WorldPower 1.2 for power, and just got a programmable BDDI). This way, I would get very close to the same sound on stage as would be coming out of the PA, and I could get a nice clean, Hi-Fi tone for the upright. Seems like a "best-of-both-worlds" solution to me.

So, am I on the right track here? If so, would the Wizzy be suitable for the above scenario, or is it not accurate enough? I don't mind shelling out for the CXL-112 if necessary, but if the Wizzy would fit the bill I'd love the savings in weight as well as ducats. The gigs that I play are mainly small clubs, and there is always PA support, so crushing volume isn't a necessity.

If you're still awake after reading all of that I'd appreciate your thoughts!
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

First off, there's at least one long thread on amps in the EUB forum. Check it out. :cool:

I went through the same process when I got my EUB last year. The CxL-112 works very well for me. I tried a number of amps and pre/power setups, and liked the iAmp 800 best of those I tried. I haven't tried the Wizzy, but a lot is going to depend on your EUB and amp setup when it comes to choosing between the two. A used CxL could easily run you less than a Wizzy, which seem hard to find used. I've seen a few lately though.
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    If your amp taste reflects with your B15 moniker, the Wizzy will probably please you. If you prefer a little more linear (and louder) sound with potential for bite on the top end, go for the CXL-112. I think I'd personally choose the CXL-112 for its extra power handling (I like watts and never want to hear a speaker yell help) and extra potential to cut through a dense stage mix, it will perform well, especially if its mission is to be your on-stage monitor.

Disclosure: I am a longtime EA Dealer (and EA gigger prior to becoming a dealer, currently playing an iAMP 800 and pair of VL208 cabs, though I've taken every EA product out on gigs.) This is an answer to a question based on my experience and personal opinion, not an EA position or solicitation for business.
  4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    You are already controlling the sound the PA gets with the SABDDI, so a good flat cab will just let you hear what the soundguy is getting more clearly. Unfortunately my iamp 800 is in the shop, so I've been playing shows with a SABDDI or a Fishman Pro Platinum EQ through a CXL-112 and/or a EA NL-210. While I haven't heard the Whizzy, my CXL-112 is usually the first cabinet I grab when I head out the door. While it sounds good, I am really looking forward to my iamp getting back to me.

Your weak link might actually be that SABDDI. While they sound ok on slab, I can't get my DB (Engelhardt ES-1 w/Fishman Full circle) to sound good using it. I've tried that "Fishman Peizo" setting in the manual, and, while that was probably worked better than other settings, it didn't sound that stellar on DB. Maybe try a differing preamp with your EUB first? Of course, my upright is acoustic so it behaves as a completely different critter, but that might be worth a shot too.