Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA two 2x10 vs. Epi UL-410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Nov 13, 2005.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I realize that EA has had at least four different 2x10 cabs over the years (VL-210, VL-210B, CXL-210, & NL-210), but I thought I'd leave this question open to all versions.

Has anyone compared a stack of any two of the EA 2x10 cabs to a single Epifani UL-410?

Particularly, interested in the perceived qualities of punch, tightness and solidness of low end (down to low 'B'), clarity (& musicality) of the midrange, and smoothness (& musicality) of the treble.

Any input is welcome & appreciated.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    ~have a bump and a smile~ :)

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Wish I could help but I've never played through a 410 Epifani. Although 2 NL210 would be monstrous in sound levels and all the other EA goodness and also very easy to move around.

Bump for you.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Where is Bowlus when you need him

5. Bowlus has the EA's... I have the 410UL.... we will have to do an A/B next time we get together.

My feeling is that two of the new NL210's would probably stand up pretty well to the 410UL. The old VL's have such a different voicing that it would be apples and oranges. Two CxL's would probably keep up with the 410UL... but the two of them would weigh almost THREE TIMES what the 410UL weighs... Yikes :eek:

6. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I currently use the Epi 410UL and love it. I also use to use two Epi 210's before the 410UL was available. I haven't used the EA's though, sorry, but I know that two 210's will give you a lot more than one 410. You'll have more cab volume and of course 2 tweeters, although the 410 will give you more punch and thumb as it will be a tighter cab.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    So far, I've leaned more towards a one cab does all setup (formerly, Berg HT322; now, Schroeder 410).

Just thought two smaller (lighter?) cabs would give a choice of one for smaller gigs and practices, or two for larger gigs.

From what I've read so far on TB, one UL-410 sounds better than two UL-210 and on the other hand, two NL-210 sound better than one NM-410.

Actually, I'd like to compare the sound of a UL-410 to one NL210 together with one CXL-210.
    If KJung and TomB got together, that could happen as well.

:)

8. I hear you on the modularity issue. My solution currently is to find the best large box (for my sound, the 410UL.. although the potential Schro410 Neo has me itching) and the best small box (again, for my sound, the Schroeder 1210 with Selenium tweet) and go with that.... the 410UL for 80% of my gigs, and the 1210 for smaller gigs. The wonderful difference comparing the 1210 with a 'typical' small box (e.g., the Epi210UL... which I owned for a while), is that the 1210 is really small, but if the gig starts 'wumpin', you still won't be buried versus a typical small 210 or 112 box.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have been trying to avoid 4x10's, as I find their width to be generally frustrating when moving them in and out of the house (which involves a trip from the basement and at least four doorways). But, I must admit that the T-410UL, NM-410, and forthcoming Sadowsky (Bergantino) 4x10 have me mulling over the 4x10 route (again!). :D

I've heard lots of good things about the Epi, and I have heard the 310UL (so I have some idea of what to expect from the 410UL). My guess is that there will be some similarities, but that the two NL-210's will have more midrange balance and the Epi will have more open/airy high end. That is just a guess, though.

Ken and I are in dire need of getting together for some collaborative comparisions. We'll just have to add this combo to the list. ;)

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks guys for the input.

Does anyone remember if Boogiebass ever had any EA 2x10s?

[I do recall he had a CXL-310...]

Boogie, where are you?

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    2 2x10's will give you considerably more flexibilty.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'll just chime in a say that the NL210 is FARKIN' LOUD.

can only imagine what a pair would push out. :eek:

13. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I'd just like to say it's nice to have one cab do it all and the Epi 410UL can handle anything. Simplicity :smug: Although I like my Epi 112 for the small gigs and for practicing.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    ~bumplicity~

and thanks for the comments.

:)

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think I need to make a trip to Austin so I can compare the two setups.

Only problem is I don't see this happening any time soon.

Oh, yeah and then there's the Neo Schroeders whenever that comes about.

16. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    It pays off to have patience when a purchase as important to you tonal needs are at hand. Take a little time to if that's all it takes to be able to A/B the cabs and or the Schroeder neo's to make the scene before you spend your money only to find out you say "I should of waited".

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just saw this. Never used EA 210's. I have single 10's, however. Two of the CXL210's, in fact. As you probably know, I favor clarity in cabs and the EA cabs have that nailed down for sure.

However, given what I want to hear (and load) these days, nothing beats the Epifani 410-UL for me: punchy, clear and LOUD, boy are they efficient! :eek: I do find that the T-212 (older model set up on end) carries better outdoors, tho.

18. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I hear ya loud and clear Boogiebass, nothing beats the Epi 410UL, we're on the same tonal wave length :smug: I used to use the T212 for many years before recently selling it, man could it kill, just too heavy for me these days, I just hit my mid 50's this past summer, so weight is part of my tonal priorites. :) It's the bench mark for Epifani.

19. +1 :bassist: