EA VL 2-10 vs Acme series II 2-10!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    OK let me know what you guys think on these OK. Also vs. 2 epifani 1-12 cabs. Amps used are eden WT-400 and SWR Sm-900. R bass 5, Fender Jazz and upright.:bassist:
  2. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Both cabs are hi-fi, as you know, but that's where the similarities end.

I don't play URB, so I can't be of any assistance there, but for 5 string, the Acme is superb (quintessential? ). Especially if you're a lower-register lingerer. A single LowB2 may leave you feeling somewhat lacking in upper mid presence though (I bought a second one and the "extra" midrange speaker makes a pair sound even better). A single B2 doesn't compete with my band's drummer and guitarist.

The VL210, on the other hand, really sings in the upper mids, and is for me a stand-alone cab at our band's practices, driven by 800 Eden watts. But I felt it was lacking some ultra lowend, so I went for the Acme to add more lows. The marriage failed. The VL210s higher sensitivity made it impossible to pair the two cabs.

That's the only downside with the B2. One B2 just isn't enough for those of us with volume concerns. And the low sensitivity makes it hard to mate with another cabinet. A pair of B2s, however, is 5 string Nirvana.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't have any experience with ACME, but I do have two VL-210B's and two Epifani T-112's. A single VL-210B sounds pretty darn nice, and sounds even better with lotsa juice. However, unless you are really slamming them, I don't think that they speak as well in the upper mids as the VL-208 (which I own three of, and which totally rock, but that's a different story).

Now, the problem with the VL-210B's is that I can get a great sound out of them, and be really happy with it, and then I switch to my Epifani cabs, and all of a sudden there's this glorious sweet high end that was missing, and a noticeable bump in the low end. Those Epi tweeters really are nice. While you probably won't notice their impact much on upright, you most definitely will on electric bass.

As for the T-112's, the problem that I find with them is that they are a bit shy in the upper mids themselves. This is where my T-110UL comes in. Paired up with one, or two T-112's, the T-110UL adds a great deal of articulation and really balances out the tone nicely.

To offer yet another suggestion, I recently picked up an EA CX-310, and to my ears it sounds a lot like a VL-210 (actually like two VL-210's), but with some added high end zing closer to the sound of the Epifani's. Really an amazing cab. It's a bit less easy to move around, but isn't too bad. Tonally, it strikes a balance between the VL-210 and the Epi cabs.

So, as with most things, it comes down to preference. If you are focusing mostly on upright, the EA VL-series cabs are hard to beat. However, if you really love sweet high end, though, Epifani is your ticket. But if you go the Epi route, I would recommend a T-112 and T-110UL for better overall balance.

Sorry for the lack of ACME info. I still need to try out some of their cabs.

Hope this helps, Tom.