EA - VL 208

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blue, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    10 - 20 years ago these were the best thing out there ... is there still respect for them? Do they still command high prices?

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    VL's do, in the circles of people who still use and love them. like me :) I have a pair of VL110's.

208's seem to be the most desired of the VL line as well. But I dont know what that translates to, re: high prices. Do you have one you're thinking of selling?

3. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    I have an old VL210, love it when I'm playing through it, hate it when I have to lift it into my hatchback :laugh:

interp likes this.
  4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    thats why I like the 110's. theyre heavy, but small. So theyre pretty manageable, even though they feel like they must be filled with lead when you pick one up, for a 110 that is. If it were a 210 I'd have a hard time justifying keeping it, solely based on the weight. I've gotten spoiled with neo goodness!

5. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    I've a friend who's a doghouse player. I've given him my VL-208. Loved that thing, but 'twas getting too heavy.

I hope he puts it to good use (but he's older than I am, but of stronger back, so we'll see).

6. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    Just sold one for a random $555 ... have one more to go

7. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Up until about 3 years ago stacked Vl 208s were my go-to speaker setup, then I made the switch to what most would consider low-tech 1x15 and 2x15 cabs paired with low watt old heads Sunn and Acoustic. Still I have fond memories of the 208s.

jharms80439 likes this.
  8. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    PM’d

9. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I have two VL-208’s and will buy as many as I can find. Best bass guitar cabinet ever made, in my opinion. (I also own a CVL-110, two VL-110’s and a VL-210.)

Prices (when you can find them) are about half or less of what you pay for new present-day cabinets with comparable performance. Weight is also quite a bit greater, but that’s what dollies are for.

10. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    the vl208 was an inspiration for my newest 8" speakers

interp likes this.
  11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I have great respect for these cabinets. They are also an incredible Double Bass cabinet. VL 208’s are pretty heavy by todays standards, but if you have a dolly and a van the sound they reproduce is worth it.

Their are likley only about 50 of them out there. They went out of production in less than two years.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    interp likes this.