Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA VL210 Cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, May 31, 2002.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Any one play one? How does it sound? Can it handle alot of power? Any ideas as to how much they cost new? Thanks guys! I appreciate your opinions!

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There have been a couple of threads on these recently. They are the discontinued model. Not very efficient. Quite neutral sounding though. Check out the new CXL210's.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I could get one used for $500 Is that a good deal?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Got a big amp? The VL210 loves the watts.

5. Sounds amazing. Very clear and beautiful highs; big tight bass, and everything in between; you've got to hear it for yourself. Does not color sound like an SWR. That may or may not be good depending on what you like to hear.

I run my Crown K2 bridged mono at around 1400w into one EA 2x10 with no problem.

6. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Out of all the cabs I've ever played (and I've played all except a handfull) the EA VL 210 is the only bass cabinet that produced an uncolored, pure sound. Unlike other cabs that advertise uncolored tone and what they really mean is a clear sound with their tone as part of it. EA didn't have any of that. Until I hear the Demeter cabs it's actually the front runner for my next cab.

And, yes, $500 is the normal price for a used VL-210.

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    See.. he has a big amp;)

I love EA cabs.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dammit, jonesy,

had to go and say the "D-cab" word again... :D

9. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    heh heh :D

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I agree with Bassmanjones about being uncolored. With all my eq set flat and the volume turned all the way down strike a note. Then as the note is ringing turn up the volume and the amplified tone is identicle to the basses acoustic tone. Gotta dig that. I sold my eden 410xlt for one of these. I love my VL210. But I am going to need some more watts. I'm currently running an old SM400.

11. How does the Euphonic stuff compare to Acme's B-2? They both need juice we know, both claim to be "un-coloured"....why would I want one over the other do you think? Seems like the Acme has a better freq. response and is way cheaper....?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002

13. Thanks, very interesting. Seems the EA would be allot more flexible with it's sensitivity and all. Doesn't go as deep as an Acme tho' according to the specs. I need a small cab with a very wide freq. response for my "econo-dub" set up. I have a reg. stack but need a tiny setup too....something with huge bottom. Does a response of 42 HZ on the EA mean (+/-) 3 db? Is that even better than this stupid Eden D210XLTI want to sell? I bought it for it's low end but that massive low mid bump just rides me...not great for the dub.
    This whole "Acme=quiet" thing has me kinda stumped. Most folks agree they are not nearly loud enough but some reviews also claim them to be just fine? I don't play with any guitar or Marshall stacks so I am wondering if I would be just fine? My Mesa M-2000 would pump more than enough juice into a 4 ohm Acme.....

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    For dub I'd go with the Acme, as long as it could keep up volume-wise. Mine had prodigous lows but that wasn't what I wanted. I ended up with two EA VL110 cabs and as Swingbass said, they sound like what you plug into them.

15. I just read that Andy really advises against useing octavers and subharmonizers with his cabs...this would seriously suck, as my whole set is based around filters and synths for our dub-thang. Sounds like I'd be blowin' a woofer if i wasn't careful....too bad. I really wanted one of these cheap Acmes!
    Swingbass; you run your VL210 with just 400 watts? Is that 400 into 8 ohms, or are you running your head at 200 watts into your 8 ohm cab?
    If you folks stumble across a 4 ohm VL210, do let me know?
    Thanks..

[​IMG]

16. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I wonder if ANY cab companies using 10s would recommend using sub-harmonizers! Seems to me that 10s just can't handle that sort of thing. I contacted Andy Lewis at Acme and asked him if the B4 would be good with the dbx120A and he said that anything below 31hz would damage the speakers. That might be for the warrenty's sake, though. I bet at low volumes that you would be fine. I don't think you could get the surround-a-dub-bowel mover-tone with a 210 anyways. I'll say it again; my Low B4 rattles things off my walls and causes stuff to fall off of my desk. That never happened with any of my other cabs ( I did make a club owner sick to his wittle tumtums with a 410 and 115:D ). I never played through the 210, but I'm sure that they sound good. The 410 was plenty loud in a crowded bar with a loud, two guitar band.

17. Damn pre EB, don't tell me that. I am TRYING to be OK with not scoring one of these... I wouldn't be playing any huge rooms, maybe just 150 people clubs; small bars. I use a 120XP with my EB-MM HD212 rig and it sounds fantastic...I could get a seriously deep vibe with a full-range, hi-fi cab I'm sure, the question is WHICH one? VL210, Acme Low B-2 or maybe even the Bag End Bag End D10BX-D? I will be pumping my 600w continuous Mesa M2000 w/ it. I don't play w/ any 6 stringers so MAY be ok...?

18. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I owned both a VL 210 and Acme B2 and B1. I kept the B1 and sold the B2.

Side by side in my practice room the Acme won the tone award but when I got it on a gig it just didn't cut enough, and that's using a 1200 watt Walter Woods. I've talked to other bassists who love the Acme's and I've talked to some that feel the same way I do. They are beautifully made cabs, portable, but for me the midrange was kind of fuzzy/distorty and although the bottom was massive for such a small cab, the EA won out in real life gigs. The lows on the EA were much tigther IMHO.

It depends on the music and how loud you need to get. For jazz, folk rock, blues that don't get too loud, the Acme's are good. Some guys swear by them. I definitely liked the sound of the EA's better and use a VL210 and VL110 for louder gigs and a VL208 or Vl110 for lower volume stuff.

I love the Acme B1 for upright and low vol. rehearsals.

19. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Swingbass; you run your VL210 with just 400 watts? Is that 400 into 8 ohms, or are you running your head at 200 ohms into your 8 ohm cab?
    If you folks stumble across a 4 ohm VL210, do let me know?
    Thanks..

[​IMG] [/B][/QUOTE]
    Yep, 400 watts into one 8 omh VL210. If it were a 4 ohm cab it would be 420 watts (according to swr)
    I probably am going to get some more power though, just for the head room or so I can hook up a second VL210.

20. So my Mesa M2000 is only going to put about 300w, 600 peak into one of these 8 ohm puppies; not enough I am guessing. What about if I was using two for a 4 ohm total load....punchy enough? 1200 watts peak?