EA VL210 or a Bergantino cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimS, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Keep EA 210 and your $

13 vote(s)
  2. Get the Berg 322 and sell the EA

12 vote(s)
  3. Get the Berg 210 and sell the EA

3 vote(s)
  1. I have a Euphonic Audio VL210 cab. Great cab.

I played a Bergantino 322 in two stores--with an Eden head and new EBS head--and it was amazing.

:confused: So my question is: is the difference in tone between the EA 210 and Berg 210 very different? And the 322? Do you think it's worth selling my EA 210 to get one of the Bergantino cabs?

Size and weight are a slight issue but not enormous regarding choosing between the 210 and 322.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hi, Jim. I'm a bit confused... you own a VL210 and you've tried a 322. What did "you" think of the two?

BTW what are you driving the VL with? It loves the watts.
  3. I drive my EA 210 with a Crown K2 power amp bridged mono. The preamp is a Kern.

I really can't compare them accurately because I was using different heads as noted above.

However, keeping that in mind, the 322 which incredibly tight and punchy, crystal top end. It seemed a bit more open and percussive than my EA cab. But some of that could be the room...there are soooo many variables.

My gut instinct is that I'm micromanaging this.

And the EA ain't no slouch. I tried SWR, Eden, EBS, a few other cab and preferred the EA. At that time Epifani was not on the market and I didn't try Aguilar. Bergantino designed the cabs for Aguilar and Epifani if I'm not mistaken.
  4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    "My gut instinct is that I'm micromanaging this".

That's what GAS is all about;)

There could always be something "better". I agree, until you compare each cab with your rig, you really can't get a fair assessment.

I've been impressed with the Bergantino gear I've checked out, the same is true for Epifani. I still prefer my little VL-110s tonally... and they aren't even my main rig anymore. For an open sounding, percussive rig that can handle the lows with aplomb, I have my main rig with Nahas speakers.

I got a chance to a/b a Bergie 212 with two Nahas tiltback 112's last week. I could be very happy with either setup. The Nahas had the obvious edge in portability. A young bassist bought the Nahas pair on the spot. He also compared an Eden D210XLT which wasn't even close to the sound of the Bergie or Nahas'. Sounded muffled in comparison.
  5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    take your amp and preamp up to where ever you tried the Berg. Actually take the EA and set them side by side and try them out. Best way to compare. Or buy the berg and ask them if you can return it in 24 hours if they aren't happy with you bringing your rig over. I always welcome rigs in the shop.
  6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's the best way to do it. Anything else introduces too many variables.
  7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'd keep the EA Vl210. I am biased though. I have 2 Vl210s that I sold an Eden 410 XLT for. I've tried the others and to my ear the EAs are a more uncolored cab and if you have the "B" series VLs then they are more efficient also. Anyway if you can A/B the cabs you're interested in with your amp and bass and buy what your ears like best.
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would say you should go out on a limb and throw Accugroove into the equation. Of course, this will be micromanaging, but Brad is right, when you have a GAS attack, you loose sleep over the details! It's all part of the experience!

But seriously, the EA VL series are fantastic from what I hear (not having heard one myself), as is the Berg 322. However, if you like the full range, very accurate, very articulate thang, and if you want a very uncolored sounding cab, you really owe it to yourself to check out the Accugroove cabs. They make them in a variety of shapes, sizes, and price points. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I am currently saving up cash for a Whappo, Jr.

Happy hunting!

9. I cant find any information on Nahas cabinets. Do you have a link that i can look at?
  10. Have not tried the EA or Agrooves. Love my HT-322, HT212, HT112, EX112. Please do A/B with your rig. Most used Bass and amp. Then take it on the gig, that is the only true test. IMHO.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I fell in love with Bergs in the showroom. Fortunately I was able to A/B my Bergs with my old cabinets. I sold the old cabinets and bought another Berg. :)

You're in a tougher spot because EA and Berg is a closer match in terms of price/quality. A/B if you can.
  12. Fuzzbass

I've not yet played an HT322. FWIW I have gigged with HT310, HT212, HT310+HT210 and HT212+HT210. They're all good, but I've decided that I prefer tens, even in a three-piece. So, I think you should consider the HT310 along with the HT322.

I also like gigging with HT210/HT115, but fifteens aren't part of the question...
  13. Fuzzy,
    Nice Shirt!
    What about the 610? Do you prefer that one over the HT's ?
  14. Fuzzbass

I have a good tailor. :)

I adore the NV610... used it @rehearsal last nite, and will gig with it again this weekend. But being a sealed, tweeterless cab it's a very different animal than EA or the Berg HT series. I'm mainly referring to tone, but it's also bulkier and heavier than the cabs listed above.

In short, the NV610 is "nouveau SVT": inherently tight, punchy, focused; without the top-end air and sparkle (and hiss?) of tweetered cabs. Newer generation cabs (EA, Berg HT, Epifani, etc) are designed for hi-fi reproduction: what you put in is what you get out.

I have no personal preference. It's nice to have traditional and modern basses in my collection; it's also nice to have traditional and modern rigs. I'm dying to hear the NV610 under a vintage SVT head...
  15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't think you can go wrong with either cab! I have a EAVL210 and a Bergie 2/12...3/10..and 1/12,
    I like the Bergies better:cool:
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    He's a small local (Maryland) builder who's doing custom cabs. He doesn't have a website yet. Here's his email address :Joey Nahas
  17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just got an EA VL-210B. From this I've found that the EA seems to be more in the same tonal arena as the Epifani's and the AccuGrooves. As opposed to the Bergs(I also have an HT112).

The Bergantino tone seems to suit my tastes and playing style and that it a subjective opinion. The Bergantino's have always struck me as maybe less accurate but extremely clear sounding. I guess that's the coloration of the cabinet, which to me sounds like what a bass should sound like. I'm not sure clinically accurate is what I'm looking for. I hate hearing metal against metal when I fret which is what I find prominant with the "accurate" cabinets.

I'm going to pick up a Berg EX112 to run with my HT112 and would snag an HT210 if I could get one in a 4 ohm configuration. The Bergantino HT310 has always been my favorite cabinet but I've been on a downsize move lately.
  18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I know specs really don't mean much and you need to hear for yourself what each cab sounds like but I'll throw these in just because.
    EA VL210
    38Hz - 20kHz +/-3 db (31 Hz @ -6db) 100 db SPL
    Accugroove Whappo Jr
    39 Hz - 18 kHz (33 Hz@-6db) 102 dB SPL
    Accugroove Mini Whappo
    41 Hz - 18 kHz (36 Hz @-6db) 100 dB SPL
    I'm sure the Accugrooves are amazing cabs, but for what they cost I think I'll stick with my VL210s
  19. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I recently purchased a HT210 Berg cabinet and prior to the purchase, never had the opportunity to play through one. I've been using SWR cabinets for years and was pretty convinced that nothing out there probably sounded any better. I was extremely surprised at the difference in the sound between the SWR and Berg cabinets. The Berg has a much tighter lowend sound and the highs are smooth and crisp without the harshness typically of most of the tweeter loaded cabinets. It's been a while since I've played through an EA cabinet but I remember them sounding real similar to the SWR cab's. I haven't played through the Berg 322 but I have to assume that it would probably sound even better than the HT210.
    I do agree with others that stated you need to try it in a gig situation (which ever cabinet you decide on). You'll get a totally different impression in a music store than you will at a live gig.
  20. Fuzzbass

That's interesting, JOME77, I was also a happy SWR user who became an even happier Berg user.