1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EA Wizzy 10 or Eden 112?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by timobee4, Jan 16, 2012.

1. What would be a wiser choice to pair up a Clarus???

with EA Wizzy 10, Tweeter: Integral 'whizzer' cone
    Frequency Response: 45Hz to 5.5kHz
    Sensitivity: 102dB @ 1m
    Sound Pressure: 126dB @ 1m
    Power Handling: 250 watts
    Impedance: 4 ohms

or Eden 112 Power Handling - 300W RMS
    Impedance - 4ohm

I would like to get the maximum out of my little AI at 4 ohm it is rated 400W. Neither of these cabinets are anywhere near 400W So does that mean I would have no head room and burn the amp out if driven hard? How can I get the most volume and clarity out of this amp? Any other cabinet I liked were 8 ohm like Wizzy 112. :confused:

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    The Wizzy 10 is a nice match with AI. No experience with Eden cabinets. The thing I didn't like about the Wizzy was the prominent midrange which needed EQing with my Focus but it is a nice cabinet.

3. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    "Power handling" is one of the less useful specifications provide by cabinet manufacturers, and on this score, I might be somewhat more inclined to believe the EA than the Eden figure. Nevertheless, very few full-range drivers will take anywhere near 300 W without distorting horribly. The good news is, you're not likely to need it as a jazzer. If you do, you need more speakers for distortion-free volume, not more power into a single, stressed driver.

If you have the opportunity to try them, do so and pick the one that sounds better to you. If you need to be louder, get another one of the same.

4. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    I have both speaker cabs and the AI.

The answer depends on what you're using for an axe. I assume since this was posted on the DB side, you're looking to use it with a DB.

Then I'd recommend the EA. When I used it with my Shen and a Full Circle, it really was very natural sounding. Volume was sometimes and issue and I would switch to a 12 inch cab in larger venues.

Since I have had some health issues, I've gone to the dark side and have been using a Rob Allen Mouse. I find that the Eden is better matched for that bass. A little more bass and less mid. Of course, the beauty of the EA is 18 lbs. vs. a little over 30 for the Eden.

5. After much investigation I am settled with the idea and getting a Wizzy 10! When I used Markbass 121p I got volume to come through 20+ people sometimes when playing Dixieland but I was never entirely happy with the sound, when I used my AI 2 ten I was happy but the gear has no balls! When I matched the AI head with a Berg that, the sound was to die for and I have a friend in Melbourne with that combination who shares your opinion and told me that Wizzy 10 and AI are nice match! So thanks all for the valuable input!

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The wizzy 12 comes in a 4 ohm version :D

7. Yes! The only problem is that it's rated at 200W the Wizzy 10 is 250W. My AI is 400W at 4ohm and I would like to get the most out of it even if I probably won't be burning a hole on it running it full blast I'd like a little extra head room! I probably have the whole thing wrong with my logic! I have tried 410,208,210,110,112, (my old Polytone was 115) and so far the 208,210,110,112 are the winners. 208 sounded the best but it disappears at even small gigs if drummer, and brass section there. 210, 212, 110, 112 holds up but because I wanna keep it small like my Markbass 121p 2 years ago I want either a 110 or 112! Markbass had a 112 in it but I didn't get the natural sound I get with AI. The Wizzy 12 is rated lower so I am left with a Wizzy 10! It is a confusing nightmare dealing with me but as I said my good buddy who does regular gigs with his Wizzy 10 and AI head pretty happy although he also gets snowed under he feels! Be great to find a 110 or 112cab at 4 ohms that handles 400W so I can just pick the one I like. :confused:

8. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I use the Wizzy 10 a lot when I'm not on a big stage. Love it a lot with my Clarus. You can always eq the mids out, which it seems to need at close quarters but if you are in a particularly boomy room the mids are a positive advantage to enable you to cut through the rest of the band.

9. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Indeed. See my earlier post (#3).

10. Yes, your logic is all messed up! Get the Wizzy 12!!!!!!!! Bigger speaker = more sound!! You have more of a chance of blowing the 10 than the 12. Besides, the 12 just sounds a lot better.

11. I read it but not much wiser! This is what Mark Gollihur told me! "The Wizzy 12 and MLINE are both rated at 250w continuous; they'd be a great match for the 400w Clarus (it's better to have a bit of "extra" wattage in the amp to allow for peaks and headroom). It's a great match. You'll get more volume and depth from the 12 than the 10, but the 10 is the ultimate in portability. -- Mark"
    I think I just have to trust you guys on this! Basically a nice Wizzy 12 is what I'll order instead of the Wizzy 10. I'd never need anything bigger anyway, when I played at a large venue last time they put a mic in front of my amp. I feel like I'm getting somewhere. :hyper:

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Good move!